The Stingray Sentinel
News for the Families of Duval Charter School at Southside
Special Edition - 12.11.15
For me, this week has been filled with appreciation. I appreciate how understanding the students, staff, and parents were with my absence last week. I never like being away from the school, but to know that we have such amazing people keeping the great things going, made it possible for me to be with my family through a very challenging time.
Being back in the building this week has been just what the doctor ordered. I've seen teachers thriving with engaging lessons with their students. I've seen students excited to be at school, working hard to learn and do what's right. I've seen parents in arrival, dismissal, and volunteering - supporting their children and the school. I even had the chance to meet prospective parents at our first enrollment session to prepare for the 16-17 school year. It has been a wonderful week, and I appreciate each of you for making our school the place everyone wants to be.
Duval Charter School at Southside
No After School Activities on 12/18
If your child typically attends after care, please make alternate arrangements, as we will dismiss all students at 3:00. Ensure that you have a car tag for your dashboard to make the pick-up process faster. If you do not have a car tag, we will ask to see your ID and verify with our system, which can prolong your pick-up experience. You may pick up a car tag from the office or from Ms. Robinson in extended day.
Upcoming Events & Important Dates
- Saturday, December 12 - Flag Football Mini-Tournament, 9:00am, DCSS Field; Regional Spelling Bee at Duval Westside
- Friday, December 18 - No clubs, meetings, or tutoring this day. After care services canceled.
- Saturday December 19 - January 3: NO SCHOOL Enjoy your holidays!
- Monday, January 4 - Return to School!
- Wednesday, January 6 - Early Release AND Your Pie "Fun" Raiser night.
- Thursday, January 7 - PTC 8:15a, 6pm; Science Fair 5th-7th
- Friday, January 8 - CSUSA Network-Wide Spelling Bee; National Junior Honor Society Packets are due
- Tuesday, January 12 - Happy Feet K-5 begins
6th-7th Grade PE Uniforms Required After Break
Again, these are only a requirement for middle school PE students. If students choose to dress down for PE, they must be in the DCSS uniform starting January 4.
Thank you for your cooperation in this uniform policy!
Winter Work to Avoid the Winter Wane
Reading and Math teachers will be assigning light assignments for the winter break to help students continue reading and practicing so that they're ready to return in January. Please ask your child's teacher for these assignments, which may include paper packets, reading assignments, practice on computer programs, or a combination of all.
Judges Needed for Academic Competitions
Our Science Fair is in the afternoon on Thursday, January 7 (approximately 1:30-2:30). We would love someone who works in the science field as either a doctor, a scientist, professor, or other occupation to lend their expertise as a judge. While we will have teachers and staff as judges as well, we want our students to have the benefit of feedback from someone working in the field! If you know someone or you yourself may be interested, please email Ms. Atkinson (email@example.com).
2-Odyssey of the Mind:
As DCSS has nine teams competing in the Odyssey of the Mind regional competition on 3/5/16, we need to provide a total of at least 18 adult volunteers to be judges. Judges will participate in a half-day training program on 2/21/16 from 8:30 to about 12:00 in St. Augustine. They will then spend all day on Saturday, 3/5/16 judging students from around the region. This is a great volunteer opportunity, directly impacting our students.
Please follow the directions below to volunteer through VolunteerSpot. Volunteers will also need to register through the Manatee Regional Odyssey of the Mind website: http://www.manateeodyssey.org/#!judgesofficials-training/cdv7
Please sign up for Odyssey of the Mind Judges!
Here's how it works in 3 easy steps:
1. Click this link to go to our invitation page on VolunteerSpot: http://vols.pt/Sq4xBU
2. Enter your email address: (You will NOT need to register an account on VolunteerSpot)
3. Sign up! Choose your spots - VolunteerSpot will send you an automated confirmation and reminders. Easy!