You've Gotta Have a Hook....
Engaging your students the first minute of class
Elements of a Strong Hook
- Explains what students are about to learn.
- Explains why what they are about to learn is important.
- Connects what they are about to learn to what they already know
- Explains how the learning will take place (the day’s agenda).
- Captures students interest.
Examples of Hooks....
- KWL Chart
- Word Splash
- Quick write
- Read an interesting article or blurb
- Real Word Problem
- Video/Audio Clip
- Controversial Statement or Hot Topic
- Comic or Political Cartoon
HOMEWORK: Due at our next meeting on Feb. 23, 2016 at 7:30am.
Please watch the Teachingchannel.org video "Start with a "Do Now" and read the article below "8 Minutes that Matter Most." Please be ready to discuss these at our meeting!