4th Grade Super Sailor Newsletter
Week 3: September 7-11, 2015
What are our Super Sailors learning this week?
We will continue working on place value and spend the week looking at the ways to represent the value of decimals. This will include learning how to write decimals in standard, expanded, and word form. We will also compare the value of decimals to the hundredths place. Students will take a quiz for a daily grade on Friday over this concept.
In Reader’s Workshop we are learning how to write reader’s responses. You can't be wrong in a response, so take risks and be honest. Our Reader’s Response Notebook is a place to record reactions and questions about what we are reading. Don't forget to bring a book to school every day. We read in the morning before school and during our DEAR (drop everything and read) time throughout the week.
In Writer’s Workshop we are brainstorming favorite places, memories, and people. We are learning about personal narratives that tell a true story of something that happened. It could be a special memory with someone or an experience you will never forget. This week we will begin our first narrative!
Character Trait for the Month: Initiative
Dig a little deeper this week with these discussion
starters about initiative:
• What is the chore or job that you’re expected to do around the house?
• Do you remember to do the chore on your own or notice when it needs to be done, or do you have to be reminded?
• What would happen if you refused to do it or were too busy to notice it needed to be done?
• What chore or job have you done this week on your own that nobody but you knows about?
• What is hard about showing initiative?
• Is there a problem that you see in the world that you think you should help with?
• Make up a pretend “to do” list of what it would take to solve that problem.
Cultural Awareness-Culture Dolls:
The students did a marvelous job completing their culture dolls this week! We look forward to displaying them in the hallways for you to see at Open House.
Dear Parents and Guardians,
At Austin Parkway Elementary we strive to provide the best experience possible for our students and their families. We are constantly looking for ways to streamline processes within our building. One of the processes that we are currently working on is that of early dismissal. The policy regarding early dismissal and checkout can be found in the Austin Parkway Elementary Student-Parent Handbook, on our website. Please see below for the excerpt.
In the case of an unforeseen event that causes a change in the way your child goes home please follow these steps.
- Send an email to Ms. Miller before 2:15 p.m., firstname.lastname@example.org
- State in the email:
- Student’s name
- Teacher’s name
- Your name and relationship to student
- Your phone number for verification purposes
- Time of pickup (no dismissals after 2:45 p.m.)
- Reason for last minute change
Grandparent's Day Lunch
Friday, Sep. 11th, 12:30-1pm
4400 Austin Parkway
Sugar Land, TX
Grades 3-5 Open House
Thursday, Sep. 17th, 6-7:45pm
4400 Austin Parkway
Sugar Land, TX
4th Grade Teachers
Stacey Fessler - Stacey.Fessler@fortbendisd.com
Laurie Grove - Laurie.Grove@fortbendisd.com
Janet Jelinek - Janet.Jelinek@fortbendisd.com
Wakika Newton - Wakika.Newton@fortbendisd.com
Meredith Noe - Meredith.Noe@fortbendisd.com
Holly Rohring - Holly.Rohring@fortbendisd.com
Emily Sanchez - Emily.Sanchez@fortbendisd.com