Granger School Weekly Newsletter
October 9-13, 2017
Quick Reminders/Planning Ahead
On Tuesday October 10th:
Order Forms and Money due for elementary pie sales
Pink-Out Shirt orders are due
Band Marching Competition in Troy
Wed., Oct. 11th School Board meeting 6:30-7:30 pm. Look for the agenda notice (a list of items to be discussed at a formal meeting) on school website, under Board of Trustees, Agendas and minutes, meetings, and notice. http://www.grangerisd.net/13176
October 11th Juniors will be taking the PSAT/NMSQT
End of First Nine Weeks Friday, Oct. 20, 2017 ~ EARLY RELEASE
Monday, Oct. 23 Project Celebration Meeting 7:00-8:00pm
Fall Fest sponsored by Student Council Oct. 28th. Details pending.
Monday, Nov. 6 FFA Meeting 7:00-8:00
Book Fair the week of Nov. 13-17, 2017 in the library
Fall picture re-takes Wed., November 15
Nov. 20-24, 2017 School closed all week for Thanksgiving
Thursday, Jan. 18 Family Night Read-In 6:00pm-7:00pm
Prom will be Saturday, March 3, 2018
Instagram: Follow the school yearbook @ grangerlionsyearbook
Students have access to eBooks! https://wbb38820.follettshelf.com/shelf/servlet/presentshelfform.do?site=38820
Pictured: Seniors 2018 in 4th Grade
Sometimes you just have to be silly!
Call me, maybe...
Self Help Segment
Practices that improve mood
- For a minute or two, read a few paragraphs of information as rapidly as possible, perhaps about twice your usual rate (Pronin, Jacobs, & Wegner, 2008).
- Write an email or telephone a person to express gratitude to someone who helped you in some way (Seligman, Steen, Park, & Peterson, 2005).
- Telephone someone who is more timid, shy, and reserved than you (Bohns & Wiltermuth, 2012).
- Assume a confident posture. For example, when walking, stand as upright as possible and swing your arms quite freely. When standing or sitting, position your hands and feet as far away from your midline as possible (Bohns & Wiltermuth, 2012).
- Attempt to discover an opportunity to help or interact briefly with a stranger (Epley & Schroeder, 2014).
- When exercising, do not attempt to achieve specific goals or objectives. Instead, simply enjoy the challenge and feelings of exerting yourself (Legrand & Thatcher, 2011).
- Try to walk outside for longer than usual, especially if the day is warm and sunny (Keller et al., 2005).
- If you feel any negative emotions, like dejection, anxiety, or frustration, try to label these emotions and describe the sensations in your body (Kircanski, Lieberman, & Craske, 2012).
Academic Readings: Positive, Arousing Emotions
By Dr. Simon Moss
Senior Lecturer, Psychology
Charles Darwin University
Quote of the Week
Source: Eyewitness Computers by Mike Goldsmith & Tom Jackson.
This book is available on eBooks. https://wbb38820.follettshelf.com/shelf/servlet/presentshelfform.do?site=38820
Raising Fundraiser Awareness
Granger Elementary Fall Fundraiser: Deep Dish Pie
Starting Monday, Sept. 25th.
Order Forms/Money due Tues. Oct. 10th
Senior Class Kona Ice Sales are 11/7, 3/6, 4/3. All of these are the first Tuesdays. Time: 3:00-5:00
Cheerleaders are selling spirit ribbons, temporary spirit tattoos, Lion Pride buttons, Thunder sticks, pom poms.
Freshmen are selling the Battle of HWY 95 t-shirts for the Bartlett game on Oct. 27th.
Stephen Brosch 1Erica Teegardin 4
Tracy Wilkins 8
Karen Red 11
Jessica Ivicic 16
Elizabeth Carpenter 21
Mike Juranek 26
Harvey Davidson 30
Renaissance Testing Dates (Reading & Math Progress Monitoring)
2nd Nine Week 10/23/2017 -11/10/2017
3rd Nine Weeks 01/08/2018 - 01/26/2018
4th Nine Weeks 03/05/2018- 03/30/2018
End of Year 04/23/2018 - 05/11/2018
STAAR, EOC, and Finals Testing Dates:
April 10 & 11 4th Writing and 5th Reading and Math
May 7-11 EOC Exams
May 14 and 15 3-6 STAAR Tests
May 22-24 Finals Week
Friday, December 1st Holland
Wednesday, December 6th Granger
All 3rd grade events will be held in Holland
Oct. 10 @ Home vs Thrall (Parent Night) 5:00 F, JV, V
Oct. 14 @Milano 1:00 JV, V
Oct. 17 @ Bartlett 5:00 F, JV, V
Oct. 21@Home vs Buckholts (Senior Day) 1:00 V
Oct. 12 Somerville 7:00 Away
Oct. 19 Milano 7:00 Home
Oct. 26 Bremond 6:00 Away
Nov. 2 Burton 7:00 Away
Nov. 9 Snook 7:00 Home
Oct. 13 Somerville 7:30 Home
Oct. 20 Milano 7:30 Away
Oct. 27 Bartlett 7:30 Home
Nov. 3 Burton 7:30 Home
Nov. 10 Snook 7:30 Away
Oct. 9 Cameron - High School District