Curly Calf Syndrome
What is Curly Calf Syndrome?
- Caused by a simple recessive gene in Angus or Angus crossbreed cattle
- Result of a deletion of a small segment of DNA
- Calves are born dead, or die shortly after birth
- Spine and legs appear crooked or twisted
- Leg joints are fixed in position
- Calves are small and thin
- Carriers appear normal
- DNA test found in 2008 detects carriers
- If cattle tests positive for a carrier, you can still breed it with non-carriers
- Only two carriers can create a curly calf
- Two carriers have 25% chance of CCS free, 50% carrier offspring, and 25% CCS affected
What could make this more preventable? Is there anyway we could force breeders to get their cows tested?