A Digital Animator
In Arts, AV, & Technology. By Sam Fry
Job Tasks For An Animator:
- Create two-dimensional and three-dimensional images depicting objects in motion or illustrating a process, using computer animation or modeling programs.
- Design complex graphics and animation, using independent judgment, creativity, and computer equipment.
- Make objects or characters appear lifelike by manipulating light, color, texture, shadow, and transparency, or manipulating static images to give the illusion of motion.
- Apply story development, directing, cinematography, and editing to animation to create storyboards that show the flow of the animation and map out key scenes and characters.
- Participate in design and production of multimedia campaigns, handling budgeting and scheduling, and assisting with such responsibilities as production coordination, background design, and progress tracking.
Job Tasks Continued:
- Create basic designs, drawings, and illustrations for product labels, cartons, direct mail, or television.
- Develop briefings, brochures, multimedia presentations, web pages, promotional products, technical illustrations, and computer artwork for use in products, technical manuals, literature, newsletters, and slide shows.
- Script, plan, and create animated narrative sequences under tight deadlines, using computer software and hand drawing techniques.
- Implement and maintain configuration control systems.
- Create pen-and-paper images to be scanned, edited, colored, textured, or animated by computer.
Salary (In California.)
Salary (In the U.S.)
Chuck Jones, the creator of Bugs Bunny
Common College Majors:
- Animation, Interactive Technology, and Special Effects.
- Digital Arts
- Graphic Design
- Game and interactive media deisgn.
Top 5 Colleges or Trade schools
2. Full Sail University
3. California Institute of Arts
4. University Of California
5. New York University
Brad Bird, The Animator Of The Incredibles (2004) and Ratatouille.
School Facts Slide:
Mascot: The Traveler.
Established in: 1880.
George Lucas, John Wayne, and Neil Armstrong went here.
Degree Requirements for becoming a Digital Animator:
Cost of Coursework: $35,600
Why I choose this school: George Lucas went to it.
Types of classes:
Joe Barbera, the creator of the Flintstones
- Senior Animator For CyberCoders in San Francisco, California
- Junior Animator for Pro Sports in Culver City, California
- Senior Technology Animator For Warner Brothers in Burbank, Calfornia
- Animator For Section Studios, Inc. in Los Angeles, California
Career Evaluation for becoming a digital animator:
- I like watching animated films.
- I like to draw.
- Many famous animators are people that I look up to.