Happy Last Week of 4th Grade!
Ms. Kvalstad's 4th Graders in Room 110
Upcoming Events & Dates
Thank you for all that you've done to help make this such an amazing year! It makes a tremendous difference to have supportive, caring families to work alongside to guide these awesome children as they develop into outstanding people. It has been a privilege to be your child's teacher. Wishing you all a happy, healthy, and fun summer!
This Week's Events:
Tuesday, June 13: 4th Grade Ice Cream Social & Yearbook Signing @ 2pm
Wednesday, June 14: 40 Book Challenge Lunch to Highlands Shopping Center
Thursday, June 15: Gold Rush Auction @ 10:30-11:30 (See below for details)
Thursday, June 15: End of the Year Pizza Party (lunch and drinks provided!
Thursday, June 15: Informal/Impromptu Reader's Theater performances (Ms. Kvalstad & Ms. Taylor's Classes) in the auditorium. Parents are invited to come enjoy these performances from 1:00-2:30. Kvalstad's Class 1-1:45, Taylor's Class 1:45-2:30pm
Thursday, June 15: Family-Friendly Laser Tag, 3:45-5:30pm
Friday, June 16: 4th Grade Watches "Bullwhip", a reenactment of By The Great Horn Spoon! novel
Friday, June 16: Last day of 4th Grade! Minimum day 12:17 dismissal
Learning in Room 110
Wow, it is hard to believe it's the last week of school!
- WRITING: Tomorrow students will finalize their stories inspired by illustrations in The Mysteries of Harris Burdick
- SOCIAL STUDIES/LANGUAGE ARTS: As we wrap up our Gold Rush simulation with he final mining rounds, students will have the opportunity to spend their hard earned gold in an auction. Students will split the "gold" earned by their mining company to bid on some fun items. We'd appreciate any auction donations! Here's your chance to embrace the cliché "one man's trash becomes another man's treasure"! (Ex: toys no longer played with, books, used jewelry, stationary, etc.) Auction items will need to be brought in by Thursday morning.
- Reader's Theater Performances: This week our class is rehearsing 3 different reader's theater scripts for a very informal/impromptu performance in the auditorium on Thursday, from 1-2:30pm. Parents are invited to come enjoy these performances from 1:00-2:30. Kvalstad's Class 1-1:45, Taylor's Class 1:45-2:30pm. Parents are invited to attend!
Ways to Avoid the Summer Slide
In order to avoid the summer slide here are some suggestions for your child to be 5th grade ready when August gets here:
- Complete the Summer Learning Challenge: http://www.sbsd.k12.ca.us/Page/3625
- Here is a fantastic resource to utilize for ideas: http://www.sbsd.k12.ca.us/Page/3633
- Daily Reading (include some reading aloud to practice fluency-maybe read to a younger sibling or parent)
- 1x/day write in a summer journal and try alternating between writing in cursive and printing
- 1x/week type an email or letter to a friend, penpal, or family member
- Typing practice to strengthen typing skills using any of the apps list on the Student Learning links page http://www.sbsd.k12.ca.us/domain/436
- Practice math fact fluency using flash cards or iPad Apps
- Practice and strengthen math concepts using Compass Learning, Dreambox, Front Row, and/or Zearn
- Practice and strengthen reading concepts using Compass Learning