Van Buren Elementary
News & Updates - August 29, 2022
From the Principal's Office
WELCOME BACK! The beginning of a new school year is always an exciting time, and we are back to business as usual. We are especially thrilled to welcome our new students, staff and families to the Van Buren community. We hope everyone can join us for our Annual Sno-Cone Social on August 31st from 6:00-8:00 pm. This is a great time to reconnect with friends and drop off school supplies to your child's classroom. Although teachers may not be at this event, you will have an opportunity to meet them in person at our Curriculum Night.
Over the summer we have refreshed the building and grounds to be ready when school re-opens on Wednesday, September 7th.
We have several new staff members this year to support students and learning. Please join me in welcoming:
- Katie Easton - Teaching Assistant
- Alexandria Hahn-Rauch - 4th Grade Teacher
- Amy Klymkow - Administrative Intern
- Ken Kratzer - Custodian
- Katie Lee - Special Education Teacher
- Cory Murawski - Lunch Monitor
- Lizet Fuentes-Oberacker - Teaching Assistant
- Theresa Pelose - Lunch Monitor
- Katie Pistello - Seocial Education Teacher
- Kelly Stevens - Student Engagement Specialist
- Chelsey Unczur - Special Education Teacher
Other important information about the school year is included below, including drop off and pick up procedures. Please contact us if you any questions.
We will see you soon!
ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL PROCEDURES
- Early Student Drop Off
- 8:00-8:15 at the main entrance
- 8:15-8:30 (while buses are on campus) at the sidewalk
- Buses Unload 8:30-8:40
- School Day Begins - 8:45
- After 8:45 students must be signed into school by a parent in the main vestibule
- Parent/Guardian Pick Up: 3:15-3:30
- YMCA program students released at 3:15
- Buses Depart - 3:30
- Walkers dismiss after the buses depart campus
Afternoon Pick-Up Procedure: Park on Ford Street being careful not to block driveways or campus entrances. Parents/adults with authorization to pick up will be admitted at the front entrance of the school at 3:15 to sign your child out from the cafeteria. Students will only be dismissed to an adult with valid ID who has been approved by a custodial parent for pick up.
From the Attendance Office 📲
If your child will be tardy, absent, picked up early for an outside appointment, or if there is a change to end of day dismissal we now have a form for that!
Van Buren Elementary Student Note
This online form will ensure that the information reaches the attendance office and doesn't get lost between home and school. Of course we always welcome paper notes if you prefer.
The main office is your first point of contact for anything related to attendance and dismissal. We can be reached at (315) 638-6121.
📅 Important Dates & Upcoming Events 📅
September 7: 1st day of school
September 12: Board of Education meeting; 7:00 pm
September 13: PTA Meeting 6:30pm (Van Buren school library)
September 21: Curriculum Night (2 sessions: 6:15 and 7:30)
October 6: Fall Fun Run (PTA fundraiser)
October 10: No School - Indigenous Peoples Day
October 11: PTA Meeting 6:30pm (Van Buren school library)
October 12: Fun Run rain date
From the Health Office 💉
If your child will need medication(s) at school, provider and parent permission forms are needed for both prescription and over the counter medications. New medication permission forms are required each school year.
New York State Law requires that:
- Parents or guardians must personally deliver all medication to the school health office. All controlled medications must be counted with the school nurse and quantity delivered must be signed off by both the adult and school nurse.
- All medication must remain properly labeled in the pharmacy container or in the original over the counter (OTC) containers.
- A new prescription/medication form signed by the medical provider is required at the beginning of every school year.
- The parent must sign the medication permission form.
Additionally, please find action plans attached below:
- Asthma Action Plan
- Allergy Emergency Care Plan
- Seizure Care Plan
- Diabetes Care Plan
The nurse will be available for medication drop off on 8/31 and 9/6 from 9am-1pm. Please contact Mrs. Tortorelli at 315-638-6123 or Stortorelli@bville.org to discuss further options if these dates/times do not work for you.
🍕🥞 Breakfast & Lunch 🍽️ 🥪
Sadly the USDA did not extend the free school meal program for all students this year. Families may apply for free and reduced price meals using the application attached below. A copy of this will also be mailed home for you to complete and return to school with your child(ren).
Application for Free and Reduced Price School Meals
- Breakfast price: $2.50
- Lunch price: $3.50
- Milk: $0.75
Snacks and ice cream will be available at an extra charge. Students may add funds to their account by bringing cash or a check to cafeteria. Myschoolbucks.com is the simplest way to add funds to your child's account for meal or snack purchases.
The Van Buren PTA is a volunteer organization that supports students and staff through a wide range of fun activities (book fairs, seasonal events, classroom materials, etc.). PTA is a great way to be involved in your child's school and anyone can join!
You can access the PTA web page by clinking on the link. To view all of the detailed information, you need to sign up using the code HCXRGY for immediate access.
Check the attached newsletter and fall fundraiser flyers below.
Opt-In for School Messenger Text Messages
If the District has your cell phone number in the Parent Portal (School Tool), it is easy to opt-in. Just text the word YES to 68453 from your cell phone. You should receive an opt-in confirmation message.
Many teachers post on Twitter and you can also follow Mrs. Cronin @CroninBee. The district website, the Van Buren school page and our Facebook page are other great resources.
Location: 20 Ford Street, Baldwinsville, NY, USA