Thursday, Oct. 7, 2021
Board of Education
Students in Monica Oquendo’s Computer Game Design class at MHS discuss their projects; Ms. LaFleur’s first graders at Verplanck celebrated their writing by reading their work aloud to the class, followed by a Q and A session.
News and Notes
- COVID cases are tracked on the district website, which also has the latest on what's being done to keep students and staff safe.
- Want to support the MHS Class of '22? You can buy mums and support Project Graduation. Click for details.
- Buy maple syrup and support MHS hockey players: Click here for details
Joy at Whiton
Manchester Public Library's celebration of National Hispanic Heritage Month continued Monday night with a performance by GOZA (Spanish for Joy) featuring music from Latin America, Brazil and Spain with rhythms that included samba, bachata, rumba, cha-cha and more. Click here for more pictures from the show.
Sign Me Up
These Positivity Project signs are popping up around town and you could have one on your lawn, too. They're free and all you have to do is agree to keep it up through at least Thanksgiving day. Signs can be ordered at www.manchesterwomensclub.org .
The Week Ahead
Friday, Oct. 8
1 - 6 p.m. -- Give Back Event to support TLC Foundation at Silk City Coffee.
6-8 p.m. -- Free women's self-defense seminar
7 p.m. -- Beatles tribute band Ticket to Ride at Cheney Hall - an added performance.
Saturday, Oct. 9
8 a.m. - noon -- MACC Manchester Farmers Market at Forest St. parking lot.
8 a.m. - 1 p.m. -- Insulator Club meeting at 330 Bush Hill Rd. (rain date )ct. 10)
9 a.m. -- Introduction to Shinrin Yoku (Forest Bathing) at Center Springs Park.
9 a.m -- Polish food sale at St. John’s Church, 23 Golway St.
10 a.m. -- The final Second Saturday event of the year, Main St.
10 a.m. -- October Synchronicity, a 3-Artist Exhibit opening at WORK_SPACE, 903 Main St.
Sunday, Oct. 10
12 p.m. - 2 p.m. -- Pumpkin Fest at Woodbridge Farm, 495 East Middle Tpke.
Tuesday, Oct. 12
Wednesday, Oct. 13
4-7 p.m. -- Fall Family Fun Night at Center Memorial Park.
7 p.m. -- Matthew Borelli Connecticut Poet, at Mary Cheney Library
Also this weekend:
Saturday and Sunday, 9 - 11 a.m. -- Clean up our parks event at various locations.
Monday -- Town offices closed in observance of Columbus Day (but curbside collection will not be delayed); also there are no classes as the district observes Indigenous Peoples Day.
The Fall Festival and B in the P are next week and Election Day is just 26 days away.
DOWN THE ROAD
Saturday, Oct. 23 -- Bark in the Park at Center Memorial
Tuesday, Nov. 2 -- Election Day (remote learning day)
Thursday. Nov. 25 -- Manchester Road Race
This sounds like fun: A 'Fashion Soiree' next weekend (Friday, 5-8 p.m. at Northwest Park.) And, yes, there will be a catwalk. Click for details
Rotary in Motion
The third annual Rotary in Motion event was held last Saturday starting at the Rotary Pavilion within Charter Oak Park. The All-Abilities community outing offered 6, 17 and 28.5 mile bike routes along the East Coast Greenway..
Also of Note
- The Elks have an essay contest asking students what it means to love your country. Click for details.
- WORK_SPACE has a bunch of fun stuff going on in October and beyond.
- Click here for the latest Manchester Matters.
- The latest Manchester Historical Society newsletter is here.
- The town is offering a special deal on compost bins and rain barrels. Click for info.
- The leaf collection program begins Nov. 8. Click here for more information.
- Also of interest: Youth and Police / Paint Party / Hot Fingers / Teen Center
Friday Night Football: New Britain at MHS
For his Eagle Scout project, Stephen Gagnon of Troop 27 built a new bridge upstream along the loop trail at Salter's Pond last Saturday. The project took over a year to plan and execute, and was pushed back a few weeks because of flooding, but over 30 people volunteered to help the MHS senior. The bridge is just under 50 feet long and was funded by $3,000 in donations from the community and the Northfield Green Condo Association. The previous bridge was damaged by recent storms.