Fork Shoals Library Ledger
News for the week of April 28, 2014
Free Comic Book Day is this Saturday!
All around the country, comic book stores will be giving away free comic books on Saturday, May 3rd! Many stores may also be hosting special guests, contests, or other events.
Visit these local comic book shops to get your free comic books!
- Borderlands – 1434 Laurens Road, Greenville
- Richard’s Comics & Collectables – 1214 Laurens Road, Greenville
- Planet Comics – 2704 N. Main Street, Anderson
For more information about Free Comic Book Day, visit http://www.freecomicbookday.com/Home/1/1/27/992.
Get ready for our final Book Fair!
Look for an informational letter this week detailing Book Fair dates, shopping hours, and information on our online book fair. Every purchase helps the Fork Shoals Library!
*We accept cash, checks (made payable to Fork Shoals School), and all major credit cards. 6% tax is added to all purchases.*
"Spring Training" for summer reading!
All students and teachers are urged to read as many pages as possible between April 7th and the week of May 12th-16th. Individual student page totals will be turned in to Ms. Knight, and the class--in each grade level--that reads the most pages will earn a special celebration in the library!
If you need extra reading logs, click here.
The last day for book checkout is Wednesday, May 21st! All books must be returned to the library by Friday, May 23rd!
Book of the Week: Close to Famous
Close to Famous by Joan Bauer was nominated for the 13-14 South Carolina Children's Book Award.
Foster McFee and her mom have just run away from their home in Memphis. Somehow, they end up in Culpepper, West Virginia, and they’re looking to start fresh…and maybe make a few of their dreams come true.
Foster dreams of being the first kid chef on the Food Network. She’s inspired by her favorite celebrity chef, Sonny Kroll, and Foster spends much of her time trying out new recipes. Soon enough, her new neighbors realize that Foster is a star baker, and this girl who has troubles to spare is making a name for herself in this small town. She may also find that her troubles aren’t as big as they seem when new friends share the burden.
Foster’s mom, Rayka, dreams of being a singer. Sure, she’s had jobs before as a backup singer, but she wants to really show the world what she can do. If only she can escape a menace that’s followed her from Memphis…
The people of Culpepper welcome Foster and her mom into their town, and it will become clear that the McFees have brought some positive changes with them. Not only are Foster and Rayka on the verge of realizing their dreams, but they may just start something that will help everyone in the town.
Is Culpepper, West Virginia, ready for what’s coming? Foster, her mom, and the residents of Culpepper may not be famous yet, but they’re getting close…
Dates to Remember:
- April 28-May 2 - Staff Appreciation Week
- May 2 - Spirit Day; Teacher Appreciation Luncheon
- May 3 - Free Comic Book Day
- May 4 - Star Wars Day!
- May 5 - Progress reports
- May 6-9 - SC PASS testing (3rd-5th grades)
- May 9-16 - May Book Fair & Summer Reading Kickoff
- May 12 - SIC meeting @ 7:30am; PTA meeting/Spring Concert @ 6:30pm
- May 13 - Chick-Fil-A Night Out, 5-8pm
SC PASS testing, May 6th-9th
To ensure that the students perform to the best of their ability, we need your assistance with the following:
- See that your child gets plenty of rest on the nights before these tests.
- Make sure your child eats a nourishing breakfast on the mornings of these tests.
- Make every effort to have your child in school on the days of these tests. We have a very limited makeup schedule this year, and it is important that your child take all of the subtests in order for us to have a complete score. Makeups will be given on the day students return to school.
- Have your child here on time each day. Although testing will not begin each day until 8:30 A.M., there are many things the teachers and students will have to do each morning before testing begins.
Report to the Community
The School Improvement Council has published its annual report to the community. It can be accessed on our school website.