Titan Talk Newsletter
November 1, 2019
The week ahead...
NOVEMBER IS FAMILY ENGAGEMENT MONTH!
* Pajama Project sponsored by the Media Center
* Canned Food Drive for NFCC sponsored by Jr. Beta
French National Week 11/4 to 11/8
- 11/2 - Titan Advantage from 9 am to 12 pm
- 11/2 - Milton HS March Band Competition "White Columns Invitational" starts at 2:00 PM @ MHS Football Stadium
- 11/3 - Daylight Savings time change - Fall Back!
- 11/3 - Canned Food Drive for North Fulton Charities sponsored by Jr. Beta
- 11/4 - PTSA Board Meeting @ 8:00 am in Teacher Lunchroom
- 11/4 - French Video Conference in the Media Center for French National Week
- 11/4 - 6th & 7th Grade Band Concert @ 6:30 p.m.
- 11/5 - FCS Professional Day (Students Off)
- 11/5 - All Day Voting - NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
- 11/6 - French Hand Tennis for French National Week
- 11/7 - FCA Meeting @ 7:45 am in the Media Center - Don't forget to bring $ for a Chick-fil-A biscuit
- 11/7 - Student Council Meeting @ 8 am in the room E-106 * All grades welcome
- 11/7 - 3X# Basketball Tournament in the Gym for French National Week.
- 11/7 - Volleyball Game @ 5:30 pm at Taylor Road MS
- 11/7 - Hampton Film Academy after-school in the Media Center
- 11/8 - Be THE Voice Kick-Off @ 8:00
- 11/8 - "Le Petit Café des Titans" for French National Week. Sign Up HERE to donate pastries and to volunteer in the Café Elan
- 11/9 - Titan Advantage from 9 am to 12 pm
Student-Led Data Talks - RESCHEDULED!
New Date: Wednesday, November 20th at 6 p.m. in the Cafeteria.
Message from the Principal
Today, I was honored to attend the Legacy Award Luncheon with our Teacher of the Year, Malikah Williams, and Professional of the Year, Traci Dease. Mrs. Willkiams, an 8th grade Math teacher, is also the Chair of the Student Council. Mrs. Dease, our Counselor, partnered with PTSA for Red Ribbon Week. Ms. Tracie Dease and Mrs. Amy Little, PTSA Chair, planned a wonderful Red Ribbon Week for our students, teachers, and staff. Thanks to Red Ribbon Week, I found my twin on Superhero day (see below).
Tuesday, November 5th, is a Fulton County Professional Day, and there is no school for students. As a designated teacher workday, the staff will participate in Professional Development. Teachers will be able to collaborate across the grade levels, and train with their professional learning communities. November 5th is an election day, and Elkins Pointe is a polling location.
November 1st marks the beginning of Family Engagement Month. During this month, our school will be focused on Titan giving! Jr. Beta and the Media Center will be asking our Titans to help feed and clothe those in the community who need it the most. Jr. Beta is collecting Thanksgiving food items for North Fulton Charities. Our Media Specialists are promoting literacy by collecting new books and pajamas for the Pajama Project of Atlanta.
Next week, Elkins Pointe French students will celebrate French National Week. What a great way for families to engage with their French World Language teachers and their students. Interact Club will kick-off the Be THE Voice antibullying campaign on Friday, November 8th.
Thank you for all that you do!
Elkins Pointe Middle School
"Every Day, Every Student, College & Career Bound: Go Titans!"
Fall Cluster Concert
* Special thank you to Dr. Deitra Duncan for the photo via Tweet*
Red Ribbon Week 2019
THINGS TO KNOW
Student Led Data Talks - RESCHEDULED!
NEW DATE: Wednesday, November 20th at 6 PM. "Student-Led Data Talks" have been rescheduled for Wednesday, November 20th at 6 PM in the Cafeteria. The purpose of this school-wide event is for students to share their data with parents. This event encourages students to take ownership of their learning. With the help of teachers, staff, and administration, parents and students will review progress, growth, grades, and attendance. We apologize for any inconvenience. We hope you will join us!
Procedure for Student Recommendation/Evaluation Requests
Throughout the school year please contact Mrs. Ellen Walsh, Guidance Department, if you have any forms to be completed by teachers such as assessments, evaluation or recommendations. These forms must first go through the Counseling Office for distribution. There is also a required Fulton County Release of Information form that must be completed and signed by the parent prior to our faculty members being allowed to share any information with a third party. Mrs. Ellen Walsh will coordinate the collection of the forms from teachers and forward them to the requesting school, organization or physician’s office.
There is a 7-10 day turnaround time to complete your request. If you have any additional questions, please contact Ellen Walsh in the Guidance/Counseling Office at (470) 254-8365 or email email@example.com.
🚙 RHS Marching BAND IS GIVING AWAY A 2019 JEEP WRANGLER!
THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO BUY RAFFLE TICKETS! The DEADLINE IS MONDAY NOVEMBER 4th! DON’T MISS OUT!!!
Buy tickets now at www.RoswellBand.com. Tickets are $10 each...AND we got a special deal - $45 for 5 tickets.
This is a fundraiser for the Roswell High School Marching Band, and 100% proceeds go the RHS Band. The winner will be drawn on 11/16 at Ed Voyles DCJR. If you have a teen driver, soon to be a teen driver, or you would like to swap out your minivan for a NEW JEEP, take a chance!
Pajama Program of Atlanta
Our Media Center is sponsoring the Pajama Program. Please help us donate brand new LONG-SLEEVED pajamas, sizes 6 - 12 (tags still attached) and brand-new books to the Pajama Program of Atlanta.
Drop off PJs & books in the MEDIA CENTER at Elkins Pointe from November 1st – December 1st. Mrs. Newman suggests any picture book, graphic novel, or short chapter book. Ms. Rickson suggests comfy warm PJs for boys or girls.
Our Media Specialist, Mrs. Newman, and Ms.Rickson would like to "Thank you so much for supporting students throughout Atlanta and in this community!"
French National Week Celebrated - 11/4 to 11/8
- Monday - French Video Conference in the Media Center for French National Week
- Tuesday - No School for Students
- Wednesday - French Hand Tennis for French National Week
- Thursday - 3 X 3 Basketball Tournament
- Friday - "Le Petit Café des Titans" for French National Week. Sign Up HERE to donate.
If you have questions, please contact Monsieur Mendy or Mademoiselle Dismer.
Jr. Beta Canned Food Drive - until 11/18
The Jr. Beta Club is sponsoring a Canned Food Drive for North Fulton Charities. Each WINN class will have a collection bin until November 18th. Rewards will be given to the classes that collect the most food items. The first place is a Pizza Party, and second place is a Krispie Kreme Donut Party. Jr. Beta challenges each student to get their "CAN-CAN"s to their WINN class for the WIN!!
Thanksgiving Donations 2019 for North Fulton Charities (NFCC)
NFCC is in we need non-perishable food items for a Thanksgiving meal and grocery store gift cards in $25 increments. Last year, NFCC provided the makings for a Thanksgiving meal to nearly 500 families! Consider getting an item in each category for a family of four or buying several items in one category. Below is a grocery store list of suggested items:
- Canned Vegetables (Sweet Potatoes, Pumpkin, Squash, Greens,..)
- Boxed or Bagged Potatoes and Rice (Mashed or Scalloped;
- White, Brown or Yellow Rice
- Boxed Pasta Mixes (Mac-n-Cheese, Side pasta mixes)
- Boxed or Bagged Stuffing Mixes (Cornbread, Herb, Plain)
- Bags of Flour, Cornmeal, Biscuit mixes
- Boxes of Baking Goods (Cake Mixes, Brownies, Pie makings, Cornbread)
- Cans of Gravy (Turkey, Chicken)
- Cans of Fruit (Apple, Cranberry, Cranberry Sauce, Pineapple, Applesauce, Peaches, etc.)
* NFCC asks that you please limit your donations to specific items for a Thanksgiving meal.
Yearbook @ EPMS Asks for BFF Pictures!
We are also accepting pictures of best friends who didn't know each other when they were younger, but are inseparable now.
Be THE Voice Kick-Off - 11/8
- The Interact Club will welcome every student as they arrive!
- Everybody should wear red or BTV t-shirts.
- Look for the line-up along the carpool and bus lanes, waving the big foam “Peace” hands!
- Be greeted with cheers of “Be THE Voice!”
- Get some BTV stickers and bracelets!
- Be invited to sign the Anti-bullying BTV banner.
Elkins Pointe is proud to be a Be THE Voice school! We want to be are a place of inclusion!
FCS Technology Competition - Register Now!
Get Ready, Techies! This year's FCS Technology Competition will be held on Saturday, December 14, 2019, at Centennial High School in Roswell, GA. For more information on all of the categories, check out the Technology Competition website by clicking HERE!
If you have a project and you would like to represent our school, please email Ms. Lindesay at Lindesay@fultonschools.org and schedule a time to see her show what you have created. Some of her classes are currently working on projects to see who has the best project. Ms. Lindesay is also available after school to assist and prep students to be judged when scheduled.
Only a limited number of participants can represent the grade levels in each category, so act fast to see if your project will get you on this year’s Titan Tech Team. This year's Titan Tech Team participants will be registered before the Thanksgiving Break in order to meet the county’s registration deadline.
Here is a list of the categories for the competition:
- 3-D Modeling
- Audio Production
- Device Modification
- Digital Game Design
- Digital Photo Production
- Graphic Design
- Internet Applications
- Mobile Apps
- Multimedia Applications
- Productivity Design
- Project Programming
- Tech Programming Challenge
- Video Production
Basketball Conditioning & Interest Session - 11/19 & 11/20
Basketball Conditioning & Interest Session for Boys & Girls will take place on November 19th and 20th from 4:15 PM - 5:15 PM in the Gym.
To participate in Basketball, students must be in 7th-grade or 8th-grade and complete the required FCS Athletic Forms:
Questions? Contact: Dr. Erika Edward (girls) or Mr. Dan Richal (boys)
Turn in Your Box Tops
It's Box Tops Time! Please send clipped Box Tops (in a baggie) with your student by Friday, October 25. Collection boxes are in the Atrium and at the school store. Did you know Box Tops are going digital? Simply download the app and scan your receipts; EPMS will get credit and you don't have to get out the scissors!
Transition Meetings for 8th Grade Parents & Families - 12/3 & 12/5
* Save the Date and Don't Be Late! We cover a lot of information, and we will be starting promptly at 6 PM!
Title I Documents Distributed
Dear Parent and Families,
Please be on the lookout for important Title I Documents for immediate distribution to our families on October 30, 2019. The Fulton County Schools District Parent and Family Engagement Plan was sent home in your child's Titan Binder via their WINN class teacher./
These forms are linked in on the Elkins Pointe website. The Elkins Pointe Title I Family Engagement Plan is available in the Parent Resource Center (located in the media center). If have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Lisa O'Hanlon Cowles, your Elkins Pointe Parent Liaison.
Lisa O'Hanlon Cowles
SOCIAL EMOTIONAL BLOG FROM SUMMIT COUNSELING
Blog by Mariah Dantzler McFetridge, M.S., Summit Counselor
10 FUN AND UNIQUE WAYS TO SHOW KINDNESS
We have all heard of the golden rule: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated." Today we are going to layout ten tangible ways you can show kindness to others during this season.
- Leave an anonymous note encouraging someone you know that is going through a tough time.
- Do a spontaneous act of kindness to a stranger or someone in your family. Some examples may be: cleaning up your sister's room, buying the person behind you an ice-cream, or taking cookies to a neighbor.
- Volunteer or get involved with a local cause you care about by donating your time or helping to fundraise for it.
- Next time you hear gossip change the course of the conversation to something positive about the person or the situation.
- Sit with a new group at lunch and start a “switch it up” at lunch program where you sit with a new group once a month.
- Write a thank-you note to someone in your life who has always been there for you and show your gratitude towards them.
- Take notes to a friend or classmate who is out sick from school and drop off the notes with a get well soon card.
- Leave kind messages on people’s social media posts that encourage and inspire them.
- Spend phone free quality time with a family member doing an activity of their choice and immerse yourself in it!
- Practice self-care! Write yourself a love note, take a bubble bath, engage in your favorite activity, dance in front of the mirror, etc.!
If you do these simple yet fun acts of kindness, I bet you’ll be spreading joy as well as feeling joy this season.
Things @ the High School Feeders!
MHS Marching Band Competition - 11/2 @ 2 pm
Jeep Raffle for RHS Marching Band
BUY FOOTBALL TICKETS ONLINE
- 11/11 - Veterans Day: EPMS honors our veterans
- 11/20 - Katha Stuart Meeting: MPES @ 9:30 a.m.
- 11/21 - Lost & Found donated at end of the school day
- 11/22 - EPMS RFF Day (EPMS students off)
- 11/25 to 11/29 - Thanksgiving Break (schools closed)
- 12/3 - Rising 9th Grade Parent Meeting @ 6 p.m. (English)
- 12/5 - Rising 9th Grade Parent Meeting @ 6 p.m. (Spanish)
- 12/10 - Band Holiday Concert @ EPMS 6:30 p.m. ALL grades
- 12/11 - Katha Stuart Meeting: VMES @ 9:30 a.m.
- 12/12 - Chorus Holiday Concert @ EPMS 6:30 p.m.
- 12/12 - Spelling Bee @ 9 a.m.
- 12/20 - Lost & Found donated at end of the school day
- 12/20 - Last Day of First Semester
- 12/23 to 12/31 – Winter Break (schools closed)