Teacher Leader Model Standards
The "What" and "Why"
What are the standards?
"Rather than serve as a comprehensive job description for teacher leaders, the Standards instead describe seven domains of leadership."
- Aligned with and modeled after the InTASC standards (new teachers) and ISLLC standards (administrators)
Who developed them?
Teacher Leadership Exploratory Consortium
- Educational organizations
- State education agencies
- Teacher leaders
- Institutions of Higher Education
Why are they needed?
- To stimulate dialogue concerning the skills, attributes, and competencies of teacher leaders
- To distinguish the role of "teacher leader" from administrative, formal leadership roles
Asking the hard questions... (pg. 5)
- Does one have to be a great teacher in order to be a teacher leader?
- Is every teacher a teacher leader?
- Can every teacher be a teacher leader?
- What kinds of knowledge and skills must a teacher learn or develop in order to serve effectively as a teacher leader?
- How should teacher leaders be selected?
- How do we support teachers in leadership roles?