Digital Citizenship Toolkit
Helping students navigate the digital environment
Be a Digital Citizen
What does being connected mean to you?
Digital Life + Real Life = a Balance
When you spend time looking down at a device, are you missing out on real life?
Technology is Destroying the Quality of Human Interaction
- When are appropriate times to be plugged in vs. unplugged?
- Do you feel pressure to stay connected?
- Maintain a conversation with someone for 5 minute. What did you learn about them?
Are you addicted to your device?
Look at the infographic in the link below. Do these statistics define you? Do you know someone who fits into this "day in the life?"
Watch how these students care for their Chromebooks.
- Do you follow the same rules?
- What are the top 3 rules you should remember to keep your Chromebook in its best condition?
What do your digital footprints say about you?
Digital Footprint - What Digital Footprint Are You Leaving Online?
Make your own digital footprint!
- Open a Google doc.
- Type all of the ways you have ever used digital resources (school, home, any device)!
- Get the "Tag Cloud Generator" add-on for Google Docs to see your digital footprint.
- BrainPOP, check out the Engineering & Tech category for the Digital Citizenship unit
- Download posters for caring for Chromebooks click here
- Pro/Con resources http://socialnetworking.procon.org/
- Common Sense Media, digital citizenship curriculum https://www.commonsensemedia.org/educators/curriculum
- Pinterest digital citizenship board: https://www.pinterest.com/msitech/digital-citizenship/
- Teenagers and social networking: It might actually be good for them. http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/oct/05/teens-social-networking-good-for-them
- Stop Googling. Let's Talk. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/27/opinion/sunday/stop-googling-lets-talk.html?_r=0
Extra Food for Thought
- CNN: #Being13 http://www.cnn.com/specials/us/being13
- CNN: Teens on social media (in their own words) http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/02/living/being-13-teens-social-media-question-answer/index.html