Double Dapple Dachshund

Big image


  • Dapple is a coat pattern found in Dachshunds and other breeds. It is classified as patches of diluted pigment mixed with normal undiluted color.
  • It is also known as "merle".
  • Double dapple occurs when two dappled dachshunds are bred together.
  • The double dapple coat pattern is recognized by both the American Kennel Club (AKC) and the Dachshund Club of America (DCA).


  • A double dapple dachshund has the defining characteristic of white spots on the coat.
  • The spots can be anywhere.
  • The white spots occur where the two dapple alleles affect the same spot on the coat.
  • Blue eyes are also common in double dapple dachshunds .

What Problems can Double Dapple Dachshunds Have?

  • Having two dapple alleles has been liked to many ear and eye problems.
  • Double dapple dachshunds can be born deaf and blind.
  • They can have hearing or seeing problems.
  • They can be born with underdeveloped or small eyes.
  • The gene has also been found to be sublethal.
  • In the video below, you see a double dapple dachshund puppy that has been born blind trying to understand and explore its surroundings.
Button, Double Dapple Dachshund Puppy
Big image
Above is the Punnet square for the mating of two dapples (or "merle" in the photo). The pairing of two dapple dachshund has a 25% chance of producing double dapple offspring, a 50% chance of producing dapple offspring, and a 25% chance of producing offspring with no dappling.

How is it Transmitted?

  • The dapple allele is a dominant gene (M).
  • The double dapple only achieved by breeding two dapple parents, creating an offspring with the genotype MM.

What is the Phenotype of the Double Dapple Gene

  • The phenotype for the dapple gene is a marbling affect mixed in with the solid coat color.
  • The phenotype for two dappling genes appears as white spots where both genes have dappled.
  • Because the dapple gene affects the coat randomly (it can affect the entire coat, just an ear, and everything in between) they double dapple also affect the coat randomly.
  • White spots can appear all over the body, or in a small area like the chest, feet, tail, or ears.


  • The best and simplest way to prevent a double dapple dachshund is to not breed to dapple dachshunds together, since this is the only way to get a double dapple dachshund.


1. "Explaining the Double Dapple and How It Happens." The Double Dapple - DORG - The Dachshund Magazine On-Line! Dachshund Club of America, Web. 25 Apr. 2016.

2. "Colour and Health." Dachshund Health UK. Dachshund Breed Council, Web. 25 Apr. 2016.

3. Kaelin, Christopher B., and Gregory S. Barsh. "Genetics of Pigmentation in Dogs and Cats." Animal Biosciences 1 (2013): 125-56. 03 Jan. 2013. Web. 25 Apr. 2016.

4. Clark, L. A., Wahl, J. M., Rees, C. A., & Murphy, K. E.. Retrotransposon Insertion in SILV Is Responsible for Merle Patterning of the Domestic Dog. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 103(5), (2006): 1376–1381.

5. Miluchová, Martina, Michal Gábor, Anna Trakovická, Jana Hanusová, Stanislava Zubrická, and Pavol Zubricky. "Identification of Cryptic Allele for Merle Patterning in Dogs by Molecular Genetics Methods." Acta Veterinaria 65.2 (2015): n. pag. De Gruyter. Walter De Gruter, June 2015. Web. 25 Apr. 2016.