Senior Scoop

Oyster River High School~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~January/February 2016


Seniors with a college application deadline of February 1st must request a transcript via Naviance no later than January 13th.

Need help organizing? Come take a look at the interactive bulletin in the Counseling Office to learn about tools you can add to your 'toolbox'!

Want A Diploma?

Seniors need to verify the correct name as well as spelling they wish to see on their high school diploma. Please see Ms. Osterloh in the Counseling Office to give the thumbs up and order your diploma ASAP!
Big image

The Financial Aid Process: It’s Time!

* Documents Needed

For the 2016-2017 school year, you will need financial information from 2015:

W-2 Forms and other records of money earned; 2015 Federal Income Tax Return - for you and your parents; 2015 untaxed income records - Social Security, TANF, welfare, or veterans benefits records; 2015 bank statements, business and investment records


The FSA ID, which consists of a user-created username and password, replaced the PIN effective May, 2015. It allows users to electronically access personal information on Federal Student Aid Web sites as well as electronically sign a FAFSA.

* Student Eligibility

The Department of Education uses the information provided on your FAFSA to determine your eligibility for aid from the Federal Student Aid (FSA) programs. Once your FAFSA has been processed successfully, you will receive a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR), as will the schools that you identify when completing the FAFSA. Your family’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) will be indicated on your SAR.

* Deadlines

In addition to the federal deadlines for filling out a FAFSA, you may also use the FAFSA to apply for aid from other sources, such as your state or college. The deadlines for states or colleges may differ from the federal deadlines, and you may be required to complete additional forms. Check with your high school counselor or a financial aid administrator at your college about state and college sources of student aid.

You don't need to file your tax return before you submit your FAFSA!!

Filling out your tax return first will make completing the FAFSA easier. However, it is okay to estimate on your FAFSA in order to meet priority financial aid deadlines if your parent’s or your tax return is not completed. Once you file your tax return, be sure to correct your Student Aid Report (SAR) with any income or tax information that may have changed from your original FAFSA estimate.

Visit for more information on filing the FAFSA.

USA Gap Year Fair--Phillips Academy Andover

Sunday, Jan. 24th, 3-5:30pm

7 Salem Street, Main Street, Andover, MA 01810

Speaker from 3-3:30p. Visit to register.

What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?

Still unsure of what you want to do when you leave ORHS? You are not alone AND you still have time to make a decision! Many students struggle when trying to decide if they want to go to college right away, whether to attend a two or four year university, or what major to choose. So what do you do?

  • Meet with your counselor to talk about the options available to you.
  • Choose a liberal arts college with a variety of programs allowing you to take courses in your areas of interest. Liberal arts colleges often offer a wide range of majors.
  • Find a Gap Year experience in a field of interest.
  • Find a summer internship that fits with an area of interest.
  • Take a course or two at a community college to explore areas of interest.
  • Complete a day-long job shadow to see if a particular job is right for you.

Investing the time now to thoroughly research your options and make an informed decision can lessen the chance you will need to transfer schools—saving you time and money! Make an appointment with your counselor to talk about your plans.

Big image