Solar System Smore - Saturn
Is the planet Terrestrial or Jovian?
What is the length of a year ( revolution )?
Choi, Charles Q. Saturn Moon Titan. N.d. N.p.
Weaver, Aaron. Saturn Return: 7 Must-Do Steps For Growth. N.d. N.p.
Team, Cassini Imagining. Big Beautiful Saturn. N.d. N.p.
What is the length of a day ( rotation ) ?
10 hours and 39 minutes
How many moons does the planet have ?
It has 62 moons .. 9 are awaiting to be named officially.
Does the planet have rings? If yes, what are the rings made out of?
Saturn does have rings! 14 to be exact and they're all made out of ice.
What is the composition of the atmosphere?
Saturn is mainly made up out of hydrogen.. which is caught in the early stages of formation. Most of the remaining composition is helium. Followed by other elements such as methane and ammonia which are found in small doses. Nitrogen and Oxygen are also in the atmosphere
What is the average temperature range ( high and low )?
Saturn is covered with a thick atmosphere made up of hydrogen and helium. Saturn's temperature is believed to be about -270 degrees Fahrenheit or -168 degrees Celsius.
What are at least 3 distinguishing characteristics of the planet?
- Saturn is the sixth planet from the sun and second largest planet in the solar system
- Saturn was named after Cronus , the lord of the titans in Greek mythology
- Saturn is big enough to hold more than 760 earths and is more massive than any other planet except Jupiter. ( approximately 95 times earths mass )
Name at least 2 missions that have explored the planet and the date they launched
- Pioneer 11 - launched April 6, 1973 and arrived on September 1,1979
- Voyager 1- launched September 5, 1977 and arrived November 13,1980
What is the Mythology behind the name of the planet?
Saturn is named after the Roman god Saturn, equated to the Greek Cronus (the Titan father of Zeus), the Babylonian Ninurta and the Hindu Shani. Saturn's symbol represents the Roman god's sickle.