May 15th, 2020
Secondary Grading Communication
Dear Families of Secondary Students,
It is hard to believe that almost eight weeks ago, we began our online learning journey together in response to the COVID-19 crisis. Our entire Fraser Family has come together to provide food, social and emotional support, teaching and learning, and most importantly comfort and stability in a time of tremendous uncertainty.
As we move into the last few weeks of school, we want to make sure that everyone understands the grading protocols that will be used to evaluate academic credit at Fraser High School and Richards Middle School. Last month, Mr. Sines and Mr. Julian held class meetings reviewing the grading practices that would be used for the rest of the year. You can find these resources on our district website - Grades 7 & 8, Grades 9-11 and Grade 12.
Below outlines the next steps in the process for closing out the school year and having your child FINISH STRONG:
- Students and families need time to process through all of their work virtually in order to complete assignments and assessments
- Also, students will be at different places in their courses and need an opportunity to catch up and remediate.
- And, our teachers will need time to assess completed work and provide feedback so that students can adjust and improve their learning before the end of the school year.
Therefore, we will be putting the following protocols in place:
- No new assignments/assessments will be posted after the week of May 26th.
- Students will have the following two weeks (the week of June 1st and June 8th) to complete any missing assignments/assessments.
- Instructional hours will continue to support our students’ learning for the remainder of the school year.
- Any previous zeros on an assignment that is completed before the end of the school year, can still be awarded full credit if the work is acceptable.
- Our staff will update their PowerSchool Gradebooks on a progression to assist with understanding what assignments have been or needs to be completed.
The following dates are when missing assignments will be converted to zeros in PowerSchool:
By 5/11/20.....The weeks of 4/20/20 and 4/27/20 assignments
By 5/18/20.....The week of 5/4/20 assignments
By 5/26/20.....The week of 5/11/20 assignments
By 6/01/20.....The week of 5/18/20 assignments
By 6/08/20.....The week of 5/26/20 assignments
If you have questions or concerns, please reach out to your child’s teacher, Mr. Julian or Mr. Sines. Attached you will find a parent resource that will provide additional supports to help your child FINISH STRONG. Please make sure to check PowerSchool weekly with your child to make sure they are completing their assignments and assessments.
Thank you for all of your efforts. Remember, we are all in this together.
Dr. Donna Anderson
Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction
Yearbooks are selling out.
You can order online. Distribution details will depend on how access to the building plays out with state mandates. With this being a historic year I am sure the book will sell out as it has in the past couple years. We are down to 38 books left that have not been spoken for.
Use this link to order on line now: