We Are Byron, Stronger Together!
WE ARE BYRON WEDNESDAYS
Dear BYRON Community,
We are excited to share our news with you, we are a PURPLE DISTRICT! If you've read the books by Kristen Bell & Benjamin Hart then you know how excited we are to have schools filled with PURPLE PEOPLE. We are coming together to celebrate all the unique ways we belong to this community of learners filled with big ideas, kindness, cooperation, wonder, curiosity, creativity, hard work, determination and a growth mindset! YOU belong in BYRON and we are so glad YOU are here!
This week, our Byron staff received a special delivery of our new WE are BYRON PURPLE shirts thanks to the generous donation from Jim Mattison & the Discovery Bay Community Foundation.
Starting Wednesday, November 9th we invite all students, families, and staff to wear PURPLE every Wednesday as a symbol of the unity in our community.
There are so many connections to the important message in these books and the schools we have in our district! Please watch the video in the link below as a family to learn more about our PURPLE SCHOOLS!
THANK YOU Jim Mattison & the Discovery Bay Community Foundation for our PURPLE shirts !
Veterans Day Breakfast at Excelsior Middle School
Special thanks to Dolores Long, Kathy Tickner, Adan Ortega, leadership, band, and choir students for organizing this event!
Annual International Peace Poster Contest
Veterans Day, celebrated on November 11, is a time for us to pay our respects to those who have served and the families who support them. The brave members of the United States Military have defended our nation for generations and uphold our values to serve a cause greater than ourselves. They have helped shape our history, and we honor their sacrifices as we reflect and celebrate our veterans today.
There are many unique challenges veterans and their families face while in active service. Families may need to separate for long periods of time, move frequently, or experience anxiety as their loved ones put themselves in danger. After active duty, many veterans have a hard time adjusting to civilian life. Those who experienced trauma may need professional help to heal. This is why it is so important as a school community to support our veterans and their families not just on November 11, but every day.
Here are three ways we can offer support:
- Become a listening ear to veterans and their families. Let them know you are here for them and allow them space to talk about their feelings.
- If needed, provide them with the Veterans Crisis Line, available 24/7, by dialing 988 and pressing 1.
- Connect them to Care Solace, a mental health care coordination service provided by Byron Union School District, for ongoing support. If you or a family member would like to use Care Solace to help you find a mental health or substance use treatment provider:
- Visit www.caresolace.com/byronusd and either search on your own OR click "Book Appointment" for assistance by video chat, email, or phone.
- Call 888-515-0595. Support is available 24/7/365 in any language.
To all our veterans, we thank you for your service.
Important Dates to Remember
November 9th and 16th: #WEareBYRON Wednesdays- wear purple
November 11th- Veterans Day: No school
November 18th- Report cards go home
November 21st-25th: Thanksgiving Break
November 28th- All sites minimum day release