Catholic School Matters
May 19, 2019
The Best Of Issue
This is my favorite edition of the newsletter of the year. Below you’ll find in chronological order the most clicked on links from each of the 21 editions of the newsletter this year. It’s a great smorgasbord of articles showing what was most interesting to the readers. Enjoy!
At the same time, I’m aware that many educators are looking for great books to read for the summer. Over this academic year, I was able to read 61 books (you can find my professional reading list here) and so I worked to identify the six books which impacted my practice the most this year:
1. Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World (2002) by Henri Nouwen
2. Rethinking Leadership: A Collection of Articles (2007) by Thomas J. Sergiovanni
3. Making Disciples: A Handbook of Christian Moral Formation (1998) by Timothy E. O'Connell
4. Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise (2016) by Anders Ericsson & Robert Pool
5. Leadership Can Be Taught (2005) by Sharon Daloz Parks
6. Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well (2015) by Douglas Stone & Sheila Heen
This is it for this school year! Enjoy your summer!
Want to keep up with the conversations surrounding Catholic education? Set up your own Google Alert, subscribe to this newsletter by clicking "follow," subscribe to the Catholic Schools Daily, or subscribe to the Catholic School Matters podcast.
Dr. Tim Uhl
Most Popular Links from 2018-19
An influential donor takes you to lunch. While there, you begin talking about
the potential for a capital campaign. He seems interested in making a lead gift and even chairing the endeavor. However, he is concerned that you might be forcing out the boys basketball coach. The coach has not had a winning season for a few years and there have been calls to replace him with a younger, more energetic coach and current parents are displeased. His annual reviews have been abysmal although you know his previous success has given him loyal fans.
What I'm Up To
This week is going to find me all over Montana as I'm involved in a few graduation ceremonies, a couple of board meetings, and a few final principal evaluation meetings. In my spare time, I'm working on my University of Dayton presentation for the Catholic Education Summit on June 21st and my ICSL workshop on Moral Leadership (July 14-17 in Indianapolis).
Wednesday's Catholic School Matters Radio Hour podcast features four great guests from the NCEA Convention last month. Timothy O'Malley from the McGrath Institute at Notre Dame talks to me about liturgy in our Catholic schools. Two assistant superintendents (Jill Anable from the Diocese of Grand Rapids and Julie Cantillon from the Diocese of San Diego) discuss their professional development efforts. Finally, my old friend Bernard Dumond from Louisiana discusses his efforts supporting Catholic schools across the country.
- Sunday: Missoula senior breakfast
- Monday: St. Labre Board meeting (Ashland)
- Tuesday: Great Falls Catholic Board meeting
- Wednesday: Missoula Catholic School Board meeting
- Thursday: St. Jude (Havre) principal evaluation & 8th grade graduation
- Friday: Mission Grade School (Hays) principal evaluation
Miles next week: 1,746 driving miles
Miles travelled in 2018-19: 30,581 road miles; 73,636 air miles
Last 5 Books
- The Second Mountain: The Quest for a Moral LIfe (2019) by David Brooks
- The Art of Coaching Teams: Building Resilient Communities That Transform Schools (2016) by Elena Aguilar
- All Learning is Social and Emotional (2019) by Nancy Frey, Douglas Fisher, and Dominique Smith
- The Courage to Teach Guide for Reflection & Renewal (2017 ) by Parker Palmer
- Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life ( 2011) by Richard Rohr
Click this link for a full list of my professional reading
For Montana Administrators & Teachers
- The slide show from the May 14th Virtual Admin meeting
- Our next administrator meeting is in person June 12th in Helena
- We are currently looking for a principal for St. Matthew's Catholic School in Kalispell.
Past Issues of Catholic School Matters
May 12, 2019 "Social Emotional Leadership"
April 28, 2019 "Book Recommendations"
April 14, 2019 "Brother Placid"
April 7, 2019 "Fighting Clericalism"
March 24, 2019 "Cristo Rey"
March 10, 2019 "Prayer and Leadership"
February 24, 2019 "Culture and Relationships"
February 10, 2019 "Leadership"
February 3, 2019 "NCEA Convention Preview"
January 27, 2019 "Catholic Schools Week"
January 20, 2019 "School Choice"
January 13, 2019 "What's Your Story?"
January 6, 2018 "Happy New Year"
December 2, 2018 "Building Community"
November 18, 2018 "Reframing Enrollment"
November 4, 2018 "Looking at Disaffiliation"
October 21, 2018 "Getting out of the Ditch"
October 7, 2018 "Truth, Mercy, and the Synod"
September 23, 2018 "Native American Experience"
September 16, 2018 "How Are We Forming our Leaders?"
September 9, 2018 "Where is Your Attention?"