Terra Linda Tiger Tale
June 11, 2020 Summer Reading Edition
Thursday, June 11 5:30-6:15
- 5th Grade Students and Family Parade & Goodbye
- Details Here: https://www.smore.com/9trhe
Monday, June 15 9:00-11:00 am Book Return Day
- Return all Terra Linda Library books and books you borrowed from classroom teachers
- For any families who are moving to a different School District or who don't want a device over the summer, you can drop off Chromebooks and chargers
- Look for the sign near the Module in the bus lane - staff will be there to assist you.
Wednesday, June 17 10:00 am-12:00 pm Office Staff in Module Building
- Last day our Office is open until mid-August
- Stop by to pick up or drop off paper enrollment forms
- Return any remaining Terra Linda Library books or books you borrowed from classroom teachers
- Return any Chromebooks & chargers if you are moving to another district.
- Watch for a sign on the sidewalk in the bus lane!
Dear Terra Linda Families,
I hope you were able to join our Assembly this morning to celebrate the Last Day of School. There are details below if you couldn't join or would like to watch it again. I loved seeing the students and can't wait until we are all back together again. I will also miss our fifth graders! We have one final drive through celebration planned for them at school this evening.
We also wanted to send a HUGE THANK YOU to the Terra Linda PTC. The PTC continued to support our teachers and classrooms with funds for supplies and activities as we closed out the year. Thank you for supporting community events, classroom parties, Art Literacy, OBOB, Running Club, Passport, and the many other academic and enrichment activities throughout the year. To close out the year, the PTC has also paid all remaining balances on students’ Meal Accounts at Terra Linda. Thank you PTC!
At today's assembly, we shared several resources for helping students to keep reading all summer:
Cedar Mill and Bethany Library
- Check out their "Imagine Your Story" choice reading options.
- Storytime Online: https://library.cedarmill.org/summer-reading/kids/
Students can login to Clever to access these resources all summer:
- Bookshelf - books available by IRLA level
- Sora - access to BSD e-books and audiobooks; if you pair your Washington County Library Card with Sora, you can also check out e-books from the public library; all students received their own library card this year (or already had one at home); email Mrs. Edmunds at email@example.com if you need help with library cards
- Tumblebooks - more e-books and audiobooks
- Newsela - current events articles
- Epic (through June 30) unless you sign up for Epic's Remote Student Access - Details will be posted in Seesaw
- Elementary Summer Reading was prepared by our District Librarians and includes information regarding public library summer reading programs, recommended reading lists, new OBOB and ORCA title lists, how to access the district’s eBook library, and BINGO.
Buy New Books
Check out the article below about the Summer Book Fair through Scholastic. Please click on this link to start shopping: Scholastic Summer Read-a-Palooza Virtual Book Fair. Plus, our school will get 25% in Scholastic Dollars™ that we can use to purchase more books for classrooms and the library!
Post your Reading Minutes
- Login to Clever, then choose Seesaw. Go to your 2019-2020 classroom teacher's Seesaw page and click on the Journal; Click the green "Plus" button and make a post each week with how many minutes you read. You can draw a picture, record your voice, take a video, or make a note! All students who post reading minutes during the summer will be entered in a drawing for a prize!
- Go to this site: https://www.savethechildren.org/us/more-ways-to-help/read-a-story Simply read and log your minutes – every minute added will unlock books and educational resources for kids in need.
Thank you for making reading a priority all summer!
Scholastic Summer Read-a-Palooza Virtual Book Fair- All Summer Long!
The brand new Scholastic Summer Read-a-Palooza Virtual Book Fair is here! Bring the joy of reading home this summer and help students discover favorite characters, series, and collections, with the option to shop for books directly from the booklist flyer. Plus, our school will get 25% in Scholastic Dollars™ that we can use to purchase more books for classrooms and the library.
- Same exclusive titles as our in-school Book Fairs
- Orders ship direct to home
- FREE shipping on book-only orders over $25*
- All purchases benefit our school
- The online fair runs now through 9/4
Please click on this link to start shopping: Scholastic Summer Read-a-Palooza Virtual Book Fair
*Free standard shipping is available on book-only orders of $25 or more, after all discounts are applied. Free standard shipping (books) must be selected during checkout. Orders containing products other than books are not eligible for this shipping promotion. Learn more.
Thank you to the Terra Linda PTC for organizing this opportunity!
Last Day of School Assembly - Watch it Again!
We had hoped to show this video as well, but we ran out of time. We hope you take a few minutes to watch it as a family: Kid President: A Pep Talk for the World
It's also posted in the Specials Class on Seesaw.
Please Return All Terra Linda Books
On Monday, June 15 from 9:00-11:00 am, we will be available to collect all remaining Terra Linda Library books and books your students borrowed from their teachers.
Please bring a piece of paper with your students' first and last name written on it. This time we will collect the paper along with the books you bring so teachers know which books you have returned.
If you are unable to stop by Terra Linda Monday morning, you can also visit us in the Module next Wednesday, June 17, between 10:00 am and 12:00 pm. If neither of these times work, you can also leave a message at 503-356-2490 and we will contact you to make different arrangements.
All students planning to return to school in Beaverton, including 5th graders, can keep their Chromebooks over the summer!
If you are moving away or do not want to keep your Chromebook over the summer, you can drop off the Chromebook and charger along with Terra Linda books.
Below are instructions for looking up the list of Library Books checked out to your student.
Locating Books at Home
If you are curious which books your student borrowed from their teacher, check Seesaw. Most teachers will be posting pictures of the books students borrowed.
Terra Linda Library Books
If you're wondering which books your student checked out, you can look online. Watch this video https://youtu.be/YTenGbuOhcs - or follow these steps:
- Go to the Terra Linda Library Page https://terralinda.beaverton.k12.or.us/academics/library
- Click "Find Books"
- Click "Login" (in the upper right corner)
- On the left side of the screen, click "BSD User Login" (do NOT use the Destiny login)
- Enter your student's information which is the same username and password they are using to access Clever or their BSD Chromebook
- Click "Sign in"
- Click on "My Info"
You will see a list of books your student has checked out. Please know you will not receive a fine letter during our school closure.
To check a Terra Linda library list for another child, you must completely quit the browser you are using. Then you can login with another child's username and password.
Topics from Monday's Tiger Tale
- Principal's Message
- Elementary Grading & Reporting - Second Semester 2020
- Summer Movement Activities
- Summer Meal Program: June 15 - August 14
- Local Food Resources for Any Family
- Kindergarten Enrollment
- Piccolo Mondo Toy Fundraiser
- Pre-K Opportunity through the Beaverton School District
- Club K Childcare
- Family Resources
Summer Parent Newsletter
Recent Tiger Tale Links
Questions? Contact Terra Linda
Options for contacting us at Terra Linda