Madison Mortallaro & Nicole Adams
Not eating breakfast can impact weight, hormonal health, cognition and mood.
- negatively impacts a school-child's ability to problem solve
- students who eat breakfast generally score higher on tests
- students who eat breakfast are more likely to attend school than students who do not
- students who eat breakfast are also more likely to be on time to class
- moods tend to improve when breakfast is consumed
- 26% of people experienced improved mood when they began to eat breakfast every morning
- skipping breakfast makes people more irritable, less able to focus and less energy to go about their day
- healthy combinations of breakfast give long lasting energy while fatty breakfasts give a burst of energy but slowly deteriorates.
Physical Side Effects
- risk of low blood sugar
- some symptoms include; shakiness, dizziness, weakness, headaches, tingling and rapid heart rate
- people don't wake up early enough to eat
- people aren't hungry
- people are on a diet
- people don't like eating breakfast before their morning workouts
Tips to eat breakfast
- take healthy breakfast options to go, or take time each night to prep the breakfast
- instead of eating solids for breakfast, try smoothies
- eat a light breakfast to jumpstart your day
- eat breakfast after morning workouts
- "Eating Patterns." Food for Today. Student Edition ed. Woodland Hills: McGrawHill/Glencoe, 2010. 199. Print.
- Hayashi, Yuki. "4 Breakfast Excuses and How to Beat Them." 4 Breakfast Excuses and How to Beat Them. Best Health. Web. 7 Jan. 2016. <http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-eats/healthy-eating/4-breakfast-excuses-and-how-to-beat-them>.
- "Side Effects of Not Eating Breakfast." LIVESTRONG.COM. LIVESTRONG.COM, 13 Mar. 2014. Web. 5 Jan. 2016. <http://www.livestrong.com/article/292033-side-effects-of-not-eating-breakfast/>.
- Wells, James. "The Terrors of Skipping Breakfast." The Atlantic. Atlantic Media Company, 4 Apr. 2014. Web. 5 Jan. 2016. <http://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/360154/is-breakfast-the-most-important-meal-of-the-day/>.