5th Grade Newsletter
April 5, 2018
Upcoming STAAR Dates
Please take note of the testing days and avoid scheduling any appointments on these dates.
April 10 - Math
April 11 – Reading
May 16 – Science
A Note About STAAR Testing
Fifth grade students are scheduled to take the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) tests in Math on April 10 and in Reading on April 11, 2018.
There are several things that you can do to help your child be successful on this test.
· Make sure your child gets a good night’s sleep the night before the test.
· Prepare a healthy breakfast for your child on the morning of the test.
· Have your child arrive at school on time that morning to avoid feeling rushed.
· Send a snack with your student to have during the testing. (Non-messy snacks are best)
· Do not schedule any medical appointments for your child on test day.
· Please do not plan to eat lunch with your child on test day.
· Finally, send your child to school with a hug and words of encouragement.
Please note, cell phones, smart watches, and fitbits are not allowed in the classroom during testing. Thank you for your support in preparing your student for the STAAR test. Please contact me if you have any questions.
Science - Complete and Incomplete Metamorphosis
Reading - Research Project Introduction
Social Studies - Great Depression
Writing - Publishing Expository Essays
Grammar - Parts of Speech Review
April 10: STAAR testing on campus. Please no visitors to campus.
Blaze Pizza Fundraiser 3:00-7:00
April 11: STAAR testing on campus. Please no visitors to campus.
April 16-20: Spring Book Fair
April 19: Reflections Night/PTA Meeting/Book Fair
April 23- No School-Staff Development
April 23-May 4th-Canned Food Drive
April 26: Open House
May 3: 5th Grade Drama Club Production of Wizard of Oz
Progress Reports Go home
May 7-11: Teacher Appreciation Week
May 16: STAAR testing on campus. Please no visitors to campus.
May 25th-No School
May 28-No School
Mark your Calendar
May 18- 5th Grade Field Day 9:30-1@Lebanon Trail
May 30-5th Grade Award's Assembly 8:00 in the Cafe
May 31-5th grade party at Strikz