Westside Middle School
December 3, 2021
The state of Nebraska is moving to a new through-year assessment model to replace the traditional NSCAS tests students have previously taken in the spring. This new model, NSCAS Growth, incorporates elements of MAP Growth and NSCAS Summative. In Westside Community Schools, students in grades 6 through 8 will participate in a pilot of this new model between December 6 and 17. The scores from these tests will not be used to make high-stakes decisions about your student’s instructional programming, and because it is a pilot, students who are absent on test day or are unable to finish the test in the allotted time may not receive a score.
We will be using a 90 minute block schedule for the week of Dec 6-10. So each period is 90 minutes therefore students will not have every class during the testing schedule.
We will continue to use the A/B days for PE, Health and Business and Tech.
Students will take their Math and Language Arts test in their math and language arts classes.
Monday, Dec 6th. - Odd Periods - Testing Math
Tuesday, Dec 7th - Even Periods - Testing Math
Wednesday, Dec 8th - Normal day, no block schedule
Thursday, Dec 9th. - Odd Periods - Testing LA
Friday, Dec 10th - Even Periods - Testing LA
- We will be going over this schedule in detail with the students. Please try to avoid them missing these days and those specific period of testing.
Beginning in January, Westside Middle School will be utilizing a new behavior intervention on Saturday mornings. This will be used as an alternative to In-School-Suspension or Out-of-School Suspension. Students could be assigned Saturday School for Student Handbook infractions. It will be from 8am to 10am on Saturdays.
Buy a Yearbook NOW!
This year we have an extraordinary yearbook to sum up this school year!
We hope you can send an order in to purchase a book early at
Once again this year, Westside Community Schools will be working together with our high school homerooms and a network of amazing community volunteers to support our district families in need this upcoming holiday season. Through the confidential and compassionate work of our district Social Workers, Counselors and Psychologists, we are able to assist those in our school community who may need extra help.
There are a number of ways you can help:
- By “adopting” a Westside student in need and purchasing items from his or her wants & needs list;
- by making a monetary contribution to the “Family Resource Fund” in care of the Westside Foundation (click here to donate);
- or by donating to the Family Resource Center’s Food Pantry and Clothing Closet (click here to learn more about the Westside Family Resource Center!)
If your classroom, your department, your family or your place of business is interested in supporting a Westside student or family this holiday season, please email Molly Hurley at email@example.com by November 19, 2021.
You may also reach out to the WMS School Social Worker, Kim Schenkelberg via email or at 402-452-3147.
Need some volunteer hours? Check out these opportunities...
- Join the WMS Unified Sports Club (Email teacher sponsors firstname.lastname@example.org and/or email@example.com for more information)
- Offer to help teachers with classroom/organizational tasks
- Help at the food pantry
- Write letters of appreciation to first responders in our community
- Write letters of appreciation to veterans
- Contact a nursing home to see if you can make holiday signs for residents' doors, write letters, play games, etc.
- Ring bells over the holidays (https://www.registertoring.com/)
- Share Omaha is great local resource - there's a "suitable for kids" section on the left
The attendance number is 402-408-8649 or 402-390-6464
Check out the attendance handouts below on the importance of attendance here at school.
WMS Bell Schedule
7th Grade Bell Schedule
Pd 1: 8:00-8:40
Pd 2: 8:43-9:23
Pd 3: 9:26-10:06
Pd 4: 10:09-10:49
Pd 5: (7th) 10:52-11:32
Pd 6: (7th) 11:35-12:15
Pd 8: 1:21-2:01
Pd 9: 2:04-2:44
Warrior Time 2:47-3:15
8th Grade Bell Schedule
Pd 1: 8:00-8:43
Pd 2: 8:46-9:26
Pd 3: 9:29-10:09
Pd 4: 10:12-10:52
Pd 6: (8th) 11:58-12:38
Pd 7: (8th) 12:41-1:21
Pd 8: 1:24-2:04
Pd 9: 2:07-2:47
This is a fast and easy way to help our building without fundraising. Watch this video to see how it works. https://youtu.be/WS2u4s1J63c
Below is a list of business that participate in TAGG. Remember to select Westside Middle School!!
Kim Eymann - Principal
Brian Stevens - Assistant Principal (He will handle all questions on Busing)
Dean for 8A & 7C
Jenni Allen - Assistant Principal & Director of Special Services
Dan Carlson - Dean & Athletic Director
Dean for 7A, 7B, & 8B
Corrie Philo - Dean for 7D, 8C, & 8D (Handles all questions on after school Library)