January 26, 2023
Important Upcoming Events
- Thursday, January 26th - Incoming Freshmen Family Orientation
- Wednesday, February 1st - E Learning Day
- Monday, February 20th - No School - Presidents' Day
- Tuesday, March 7th - E Learning Day
- Monday, March 27th - Friday, March 31st - No School - Spring Break
- Friday, April 7th - No School - Good Friday
For other information dates, please visit our website at https://taft.cps.k12.in.us/parents-students/calendar-menus
E-Learning Day - 2.1.23
The e-learning day will be asynchronous. Teachers will post the agenda in Buzz for students by 7:30am. Activities will be assigned to review or practice previously taught content, continue work and development of on-going projects or assignments, or introduce new content with supporting activities that are achievable by the student independently.
Incoming Freshman Family Orientation
On Thursday January 26th Crown Point High School will be hosting an orientation night for the families of incoming freshmen students. This orientation is open to parents, guardians, and current 8th grade students. Parents and guardians are invited to join in the CPHS auditorium for informational presentations. Students are invited to meet in the CPHS cafeteria where they will meet with upper-classmen student-leaders who will take the incoming freshmen on a tour of the high school. Afterwards, there is a chance for parents and students to meet with high school counselors and department chairs.
A timeline for this event is provided below:
- 5:30pm: Optional presentation on Advanced Placement and Dual Credit
- This is an optional presentation for any families interested in learning more about Advanced Placement and Dual Credit classes. This presentation will take place in the CPHS auditorium. Students may attend this presentation with their parents.
- 6:00pm: Parent Presentation
- Parents and guardians meet in the CPHS Auditorium for a presentation on the transition from middle school to high school. This presentation will have a particular focus on the scheduling process.
- 6:00pm: Student Tours
- Students meet in the cafeteria. Upper-classmen student-leaders will take the incoming freshmen on a tour of the high school. This is also a time for students to ask questions about high school and the classes they can take as a freshman.
- 6:30pm: Parents & Students Meet with Counselors and Dept. Charis
- Parents and students reunite in the CPHS cafeteria at 6:30pm
- There will be an opportunity to meet high school counselors
- There will also be an opportunity to meet department chairs from every department at the high school.
- 7:00pm: Event ends
- Please watch the section of our monthly board meeting in the link below. It contains valuable information about the data that will inform the redistricting process.
- We continue to move through the steps of the redistricting process. At this time, we anticipate announcing new elementary and middle school boundaries to our staff and families in late February/early March.
- Our redistricting website page has also been updated with the latest FAQs and we encourage you to visit the page to learn more.
21st Century Scholars
Attention 7th and 8th grade families: It’s never too early to start planning for college. The 21st Century Scholars Program allows income eligible Indiana students up to four years of paid tuition at an eligible Indiana college or university after they graduate from high school. In order to be considered, applications must be completed by June 30th of the student’s 8th grade year. For more information, check out Scholars.IN. gov –or- visit the Taft website under “Links and Resources”. You can also view a short video using the following link: https://youtu.be/AqtLkTX_-ww .
If you have any questions, please reach out to the Guidance and Counseling Department.
CPCSC Job Opportunities
Please make sure to check your students account for any outstanding balances. Balances can be viewed and paid through your Parent Access account. Prompt payment is appreciated.
Did you know that you can adjust the notification settings in ParentSquare? Simply log in to your account on your computer's web browser or the ParentSquare app. Click on "My Account" and "Notifications". More instructions are available on the ParentSquare website.
ParentSquare syncs with RDS for parent contact information. Be sure you keep your RDS information current so you never miss a message!
Cell Phones / Earbuds
The federal program that provided free breakfast and lunch for all students has ended. If you need meal assistance OR textbook assistance, you must complete a free/reduced application at www.cps.k12.in.us/food.
The cost for a full lunch this year is $2.65. Various items can also be purchased ala carte. Breakfast costs $1.50. The school menu is highlighted below and is subject to change.
Taft Middle School
Kyle Hanaway, Assistant Principal ext. 12002
Jennifer Grill, Assistant Principal ext. 12004