By: Jonah Radtke
- 1 in every 33 children
- 1 in every 8 teens
- 1 in every 7 adult men
- 1 in every 4 adult women
- 1 in every 10 new mothers following childbirth
- 1 in every 6 elders over the age of 65 (Zucker)
- In 2005 alone, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 16.9% of U.S. high school students seriously considered suicide, and 8.4% had attempted suicide at least once during the preceding year (Friedman).
Is Isolation Good?
Symptoms of depression
- You constantly feel irritable, sad, or angry.
- Nothing seems fun anymore, and you just don’t see the point of trying.
- You feel bad about yourself—worthless, guilty, or just "wrong" in some way
- You sleep too much or not enough.
- You have frequent, unexplained headaches or other physical problems.
- Anything and everything makes you cry.
- You’ve gained or lost weight without consciously trying to.
- You just can’t concentrate.
- Your grades may be plummeting because of it.
- You feel helpless and hopeless .
- You’re thinking about death or suicide. (If this is true, talk to someone right away!) (Suzane,Smith,Segal)(to the right Depressed Person.)
If you checked any of those boxes these are therapies you can recieve
- Treatment with medication (anti-depressants)
- or a combination of both for the most success
An example of what you should do to help your friend or someone if they are depressed
Broomhead, Charles. "Prescribing Dilemmas: A Teenager with Depression." Business Source Premier. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Feb. 2013. <http://web.ebscohost.com/bsi/ detail?sid=ba263ad5-9ba8-460c-994e-999c03232c11%40sessionmgr10&vid=1&hid=10&bdata =JnNpdGU9YnNpLWxpdmU%3d#db=buh&AN=16246170>. got off of the lib guide
"Depressed Person." Depression Is Real. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2013. <http://www.depressionisreal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ Depression-facts-depressionisreal.jpg>.
"depressed woman." Blogspot. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Feb. 2013. <http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-R9XxhfVlQxE/UFMkp8erzjI/AAAAAAAAAF4/G7JDEwjLUc8/ s1600/Depression.jpg>.
Friedman, Richard A. "Uncovering an Epidemic — Screening for Mental Illness in Teens." The New England Journal of Medicine. Massachusetts Medical Society, 28 Dec. 2006. Web. 5 Feb. 2013. <http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/ NEJMp068262>. From Lib Guide.
Zucker, Faye. Depression. N.p.: Scholastic, 2003. Print. got book off cart
Kist, Jay. "Dealing with Depression." Science Reference Center. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Feb. 2013. <http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/ detail?sid=ab9226a0-983d-4f5d-b444-d6a74daea283%40sessionmgr111&vid=1&hid=103&bda ta=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=sch&AN=9708305197>. Got off of the lib guide