Prestwick STEM Academy
Prestwick Profile Community Vol. 29
Proud to be Prestwick STEM Academy
Upcoming events for PSA
This event was rescheduled due to inclement weather-
- Monday, March 16th 5:45- 6:20 pm @ Zellars - 2nd Parent Meeting regarding 6th grade acceptance to Prestwick (not required for current 5th grade students at Prestwick)
This event was rescheduled due to inclement weather
- Destination 2020- Strategic Planning meeting- Wednesday, March 18, 6pm-7:00pm @ Prestwick STEM Academy (3101 Stonefield, The Colony, TX)
Course Selection time is here for grades 6-8!
- Tuesday, March 17th 5:30 pm - 2015-2016 6th graders
- Thursday, March 19th 5:30 pm- 2015-2016 7th and 8th graders
Learners and parents should bring their course selection pages used to guide them and their charged chromebooks. Staff will be on hand to assist you!
See images below of course selection pages- learners will see these as well the day prior to their date and it will be emailed them to begin planning.
Course Selection for 9th graders 2015
Course selection pages
Endorsement plan details and video
Presentation from Chart your Course
LEHS and Prestwick are finalizing plans to make this a smooth transition and will keep you posted on upcoming events. For questions you may contact either our office or LEHS counselors. We are both here to help!
Kinder enrollment now- why??
Kinder enrollment happens annually each year in Spring. The importance of this event is key in the planning for staffing for each campus. Families must bring documentation ( to register their student and should make it a priority to attend. Again this is a very important event that you don't want to miss out on! Tell your neighbors and friends.
Parents only have to attend one meeting:
- Saturday, March 21, 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. at Zellars
- Wednesday, March 25, 4:30-7:00 p.m. at Zellars
- Thursday, March 26, 4:30-7:00 p.m. at Zellars
- Participants only need to attend one of these sessions.
- Students must be 5 years old on or before September 1, 2015 as per Texas State Law.
- If your student currently attends PreK in LEISD, you do not need to attend Kindergarten Roundup.
- Please bring all required documents to registration, so we may enroll your student.
- You must reside in the Little Elm ISD school zone.
What to Bring to Kindergarten Roundup:
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security card (if available)
- Immunization Records
- Proof of Residency (must be a utility bill such as electric, water, gas or lease agreement)
- Parent’s Driver’s License
Making connections is powerful when Reading
As your child reads check in with them to see if they are pulling meaning by asking them to do the following:
Find the main idea
Identify the setting- where it takes place
Explaining the problem and solution of the text
Dig into the book and know you can go back and reread to find these answers- we call this finding the textual evidence to support your answer
Encourage them to make at least one of these connections and share them with you.
Talking about what we read helps readers find meaning for reading. These connections can be made with text that is fiction, non-fiction and other genres such as poetry and drama.
While some love reading we know that not all do. The key is to allow your child choices so they can find what interests them. Daily reading boosts achievement across content areas so LET's READ!
News from the Prestwick PTA: Spring Fundriser
The PTA fundraiser packages will need to go home with Tuesday folders. It includes coupon pages and collection envelopes. Funds collected directly support Prestwick STEM Academy. PTA goals for this year include expansion to playground and storage solutions for backpacks in learning spaces.
The fundraiser is due by Thursday 03/19/15.
The money and any unsold merchandise will need to be returned to the PTA box. You can send this in at anytime before the deadline. If you have any questions please contact PTA President Anna Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org
It is also never too late to join PTA for $10. Memberships are available to all family members or friends. Again a portion of these funds directly benefit our campus!