More 4-H Schedule Changes
Important Covid-19 Update - April 7, 2020
A Note from our State 4-H Leader
Dear 4-H members, families, volunteers and supporters:
It is with a heavy heart that I share this news with you. Due to ongoing health concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the decision has been made to cancel all Ohio State University Extension in-person programming through July 6. This includes all 4-H club meetings, programs, activities, and events. Additionally, we’ve made the very difficult decision to cancel all 4-H camps thru August 31. Although in-person programming is cancelled, we will continue to offer virtual 4-H experiences.
We know this is an incredible disappointment and recognize how much everyone looks forward to our cherished 4-H summer events. As 4-H professionals committed to providing positive youth development programming, we share your sense of loss.
Given available information, we anticipate the next few weeks and months will continue to be critical times for stemming the spread of the COVID-19 virus. It is our duty to keep ourselves and those we serve safe through the education we provide and the modeling of safety-conscious behaviors. We do not want to get to the other side of this pandemic and wish that we had done more to keep our future generation of leaders safe and healthy.
While we are making decisions regarding the youth events we organize and manage (such as camps and 4-H project judging), we are deferring to local decision-makers and Governor DeWine’s administration on the events owned by others, such as county fairs. Our decision to cancel in-person 4-H activities and events through July 6 and summer camps, should not automatically imply that local county fairs are also canceled at this time. Please keep in mind that 4-H and our FFA colleagues support the education and development of youth, but the decision about whether fairs will occur is in the hands of others. This continues to be an evolving situation that will require some negotiation and monitoring depending on decisions. We will be ready should fairs move forward and to pivot if they are cancelled.
As we work through the impact of these decisions for 4-H activities and events in the weeks ahead, county OSU Extension 4-H professionals will share important updates and information with you as we develop and provide new online opportunities. We know the experiences will be different than we had hoped, yet we remain committed to working together to grow future generations of true leaders.
Yours in service to 4-H,
Assistant Director, 4-H Youth Development
Ohio State University Extension
4-H Project Books
We are also suspending 4-H project book distribution, effective immediately until further notice. This means there will be no project book distribution at the local or state level. We will continue to monitor the situation and will re-evaluate project book distribution as we get closer to returning to the office and share more information with you at that time. Until then, members can explore some free project book options here: https://ohio4h.org/stayathomeprojects. Please know that the state 4-H office is currently working to make online ordering an option. Stay tuned for future updates on this.
Virtual Office Hours
Join Zoom Meeting: https://osu.zoom.us/j/702520635
Dial in : +1 646 876 9923
Meeting ID: 702 520 635
Resources for Virtual Meetings
Franklin County 4-H Schedule Changes
This information is subject to change based on updates the 4-H program is receiving daily.
- Club Meetings - All club meetings must be canceled or held virtually until July 6.
- Advisors that would like help holding a virtual meeting should contact Beth email@example.com or Rachel firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.
- Backyard Poultry Production Vet Science Clinic, April 8 - CANCELLED
- Horse Safety & Ethics, April 14 - TO BE DETERMINED
- Franklin County 4-H Advisor Fair Update, April 15 - POSSIBLY VIRTUAL
- Livestock Quality Assurance, April 25 - TO BE DETERMINED
- New Family Orientation, April 30 - CANCELLED
- Camp Counselor Meeting, May 1 - VIRTUAL
- Horse Committee Meeting, May 4 - VIRTUAL
- Horse Safety & Ethics, May 11 - TO BE DETERMINED
- Franklin County 4-H Council Meeting, May 20 - VIRTUAL
- Livestock Quality Assurance, May 26 - TO BE DETERMINED
- Horse Committee Meeting, June 1 - VIRTUAL
- Camp Counselor Meeting, June 4 - VIRTUAL
- PAS Horse Show, June 6 - CANCELLED- More Info Coming
- Franklin County 4-H Council Meeting, June 10 - VIRTUAL
- Camp Counselor Meeting, June 11 - VIRTUAL
- Franklin County 4-H Camp, June 17-21- CANCELLED (Refunds issued soon)
- Franklin County 4-H Dog Show- June 26-27 - CANCELLED- More Info Coming
- PAS Horse Show, June 26 - CANCELLED- More Info Coming
- Horse Pre-Fair Grading, June 27 - TO BE DETERMINED
- Horse Committee Meeting , July 6 - VIRTUAL
- Changes can be made to your project selections until the EXTENDED 4-H enrollment deadline on April 15, 2020. Email Kathy Bohanan by April 15 if you need to make changes to your enrollment after you've submitted it.
- A NOTE ABOUT PAPERWORK AND COUNTY ACTIVITY FEES - We understand that the social distancing guidelines that are being updated every day is causing a lot of uncertainty for how advisors will collect county activity fees and turn in enrollment paperwork due to canceled meetings and the closed office. Please know that we are doing our best to adjust our requirements as circumstances change. As of now, advisors, please hold your club enrollment paperwork until our office reopens. We will send further details as we know more. PLEASE CONTINUE ENROLLING ONLINE.
OSU Extension, Franklin
For an accessible format of this publication, visit cfaes.osu.edu/accessibility.