Childabuse forms a significant portion of the global disease
Mandatory Reporting and Reporters
- Legislative requirement: suspected abuse/neglect to government authorities.
- In NSW Legislation, generally only significant suspicions of abuse and neglect (except sexual abuse) must be reported.
- This who need to report the abuse/neglect include: professional work or other paid employment delivers health care, welfare enforcement wholly or partly to children.
Long term effects of abuse
- Suicide/self harm
- Persist and nightmares
- Drug/alcohol abuse
- Psychiatric disorders: depression/anxiety
- Developmental delays
- Cognitive Impairment
- Eating/sleep disorders
- Poor school performance
- Poor relationships
- Post traumatic stress disorder