By Hailey May
- This diet proposes that eating only grapefruit will help you shed pounds. But any diet based on one food is much too restrictive to be healthy.
- The grapefruit diet is a protein-rich meal plan with a primary focus of grapefruit or grapefruit juice at every meal. Used for more than 80 years, the diet's goal is quick weight loss—it's a 12-day plan. While several versions of the diet exist, the majority of them include a daily caloric intake of less than 1,000 calories.
The grapefruit diet promises quick results—as much as losing up to 10 pounds in 12 days—due to fat-burning enzymes found in grapefruits. It promises these results without starvation and eating normal meals at normal times.
Crazy for Cabbage
- The cabbage soup diet is generally considered a fad diet. As the name suggests, the diet requires that you eat large amounts of cabbage soup for a week. During that time, you can also eat certain fruits and vegetables, beef, chicken and brown rice, according to a set schedule
- Proponents of the cabbage soup diet say it's a good way to quickly lose a few pounds. You may lose weight on the diet because it drastically limits calories. But it may not be fat that you're losing. It might be water weight or even lean tissue, since it's hard to burn that many fat calories in such a short period.
Leading Causes of Bad Nutrition
There are many different weight loss solutions out there.
This includes all sorts of pills, drugs and natural supplements.
These are claimed to help you lose weight, or at least make it easier to lose weight combined with other methods.
They tend to work via one or more of these mechanisms:
- Reduce appetite, making you feel more full so that you eat fewer calories.
- Reduce absorption of nutrients like fat, making you take in fewer calories.
- Increase fat burning, making you burn more calories.
How long is the Grape Fruit Diet for? 12 days
Crazy for Cabbage Diet helps lose fat and what else? water weight
Can you take pills for weight loss? yes
In 12 days of the Grape Fruit Diet, how much do you usually lose? 12