South Carolina Colony
Founded in 1633
Founding of the Colony
**Fun Fact: North and South Carolina were the same colony until 1729**
Everything under the sun you would want to know!
- Meaning of the name: Carolina comes from the Latin name Carolus, which is translated to Charles to honor Charles IX from France and King Charles I and II from England.
- Split into North and South, in 1712,because one Carolina was too big to be governed by just one governor.
- Since it was in the south on the coast, it had very humid and hot, which allowed the growth of plantations that provided many crops such as: tobacco, rice, sugar, cotton, and indigo. The agriculture helped support the colony economically.
- Being on the coast allowed easy access to trade their crops, they were concentrated on the agriculture of the colony.
- Governed as a Royal colony.
- Many natural resources: fish, timber, good land for agriculture
- Main religion: Anglican
- 1/4 of the southern colonies
What's Happening? BIG,BIG THINGS!(some of the colonies major events)
1670- Major city of Charles Town (Charleston) was created
1700- 98 people killed in a Hurricane
1712- South Carolina divided from North Carolina
1715-1717- Yemassee Indian Wars create tension & killings
1719- Rebellion against Lords Proprietors... James Moore is elected the governor
1769- Establishment of Nine judicial district
1774- First Continental Congress
1775- First Provincial Congress met
assisted in the drafting of the Fundamental Constitution of Carolina in 1669.
King Charles I
King who the colony was in honor of; helped to establish the colony.
governor of the colony during the Tuscarora and Yamasee War, helped the colony deal with the after math of the wars.