Shepherd Middle School
Principal's Weekly Newsletter AUGUST 19-23, 2019
SHEPHERD MIDDLE SCHOOL QUOTE OF THE WEEK!
SHEPHERD MIDDLE SCHOOL
Shepherd, TX 7737936-628-3377 Fax #936-628-6749
School-wide book study: The Energy Bus by Jon Gordon
How are you feeling?
We are Piraterific and Blessed, Yes! Energy Bus Schools!
District-Wide Book Study!
Please read chapter 1- Flat Tire. We will discuss collectively as a group.
Invite your Students on the Bus
You may need to simplify or extend some of the activities depending on the age level of the students in your classroom. I have pasted the link below as it relates to inviting our splendid students on the ride of their life.
District-Wide Book Study!
1. You’re the driver of your “bus”.
2. Desire, vision, and focus move your bus in the right direction.
3. Fuel your ride with positive energy.
4. Invite people on your bus and share your vision for the road ahead.
5. Don’t waste your energy on those who don’t get on your bus.
6. Enthusiasm attracts more passengers and energizes them during the ride.
7. Post a sign that says “No Energy Vampires” allowed on your bus.
8. Love your passengers.
9. Drive with purpose.
10. Have fun and enjoy the ride.
Please join the Positive Passengers Only Bus in spreading all the pirateriffic things transpiring at Shepherd Middle School on the following social media platforms!
Pirateriffic Teacher of the Week!
Pirateriffic Student of the Week!
Shepherd Middle School Weekly Visibility Walk: Our Focus area will be Planning Dimension 1.1---The teacher designs clear, well-organized, sequential lessons that reflect best practice, align with standards and are appropriate for diverse learners.
Shepherd Middle School Weekly Wave Walk: Our Focus Area Will be Champs!
To implement CHAMPS students need to understand each word in the acronym. It is important to discuss with them how the system works and your expectations for following it.
- Conversation: May students converse during this activity? About What? With whom? For how long?
- Help: How do students get your attention? How do students get questions answered? What do they do while they wait for you?
- Activity: What is the expected end product of the activity? What is the task or objective?
- Movement: For what reasons may students get out of their seats? Do they need to ask permission?
- Participation: What behavior shows students are participating or not participating?
- Success: No questions for this one. If students are following the CHAMPS method they will be successful.
Post-It. Please ensure you have your POST-IT posted. Also, please have the POST-IT completed to include warm-ups & closures. We will be observing your awesome lessons and closures!
Shepherd Middle School Parent Contact Log. Please ensure we conduct Positive phone calls and any other student concerns.
Building Strong Parent-Teacher Relationships (Our community goal#1). Positive phone calls home will be part of SMS school’s story. Please consider sharing via Twitter #GoodNewsCallOfTheDay as well as tag @PBISRewards in your Tweets. We will be great!
Balanced Literacy with ELAR classes! The schedule is noted below.
Balanced Literacy for middle school initiative; Independent Reading!
Every three weeks beginning August 23 , 2019, everyone in the building during ADA (3rd period) will silently read for 10 minutes. This is a campus initiative, so if yo do not have a classroom please bring your book and report to any classroom, and help promote literacy at Shepherd Middle School! "Balanced Literacy instruction is focused on shared reading (e.g., the teacher reads aloud to students and asks questions about the text), guided reading (e.g., students read texts at their current ability level and discuss them with the teacher in homogeneous groups), and independent reading (e.g., students self-select books to read on their own)."
Balanced Literacy Description and Balanced Math Description
Balanced Literacy (I do, we do, and you do)
**** I do- Read aloud or write aloud
**** We do- Shared reading guided reading, shared writing, and guided writing
**** You do- Independent reading or independent writing
Exit tickets are popular method of closing a lesson.
What is my Teacher Reading? Please ensure these are posted outside your doors.
Weekly Events for August 19-23, 2019
*** Lesson plans are due by 10:00 AM every Monday***
***Please inform students registration packets and proof of residence are due by August 23, 2019***