News From the Nest
Evansdale Weekly Newsletter - August 25th Edition
Calling all Bookaneers...It's Time to Sail Your Ship to the Fall Book Fair
Reading for pleasure unlocks the power of information and imagination and helps children discover who they are. Here’s what you can do to help children develop stronger reading skills and a love
Set the example. Let children see you read.
Have a collection of books in your home. Update this collection routinely to keep pace
with changing tastes and reading skills.
Support our school’s Book Fair. Allow your children to choose their own books
Our Scholastic Book Fair is a reading event that brings the books kids want to read right into our school. It’s a wonderful selection of engaging and affordable books for every reading level. Please make plans to visit our Book Fair and be involved in shaping your child’s reading habits.
Book Fair dates: Monday, August 29th-Friday, September 2nd
Shopping hours: Before school (Monday-Friday) 7:15am-8:30am
After school (Monday-Thursday) 2:30pm-3:30pm
Grandparents Luncheon: Wednesday, August 31st 11:00am-1:00pm Friday, September 2nd 11:00am-1:00pm.
If you are unable to attend the Fair in person, we invite you to visit our online Book Fair at scholastic.com/fair. Our online Fair is available from August 21st to September 3rd.
We look forward to seeing you and your family at our Book Fair! Remember, all purchases benefit our school.
Book Fair Chair
La connection française
"We are on our way to creating a French Immersion Parent Committee to promote and enhance our program at Evansdale. If you are interested in participating in this committee, please email Mme Kim at Yung-Hee_Kim@dekalbschoolsga.org.
We would also like to give special thanks to:
Milke Ababiya ( for donating several books for our French collection) & Susan Easom (for creating the French/English signage around the school).
Grandparents Day Luncheon
Grandparents and adopted grandparents are invited
to join their special Evansdale students for lunch.
Enjoy visiting the Book Fair in the Media Center after lunch!
***Please note the date for each grade***
Pre-K, 1st, 3rd & 5th Grades
Wednesday August 31, 2016
Kindergarten, 2nd & 4th Grades
Friday September 2, 2016
Grandparents are able to purchase a meal the day of
the luncheon at the Welcome Table in the front lobby.
The cost of an adult meal is $3.50, cash or check.
Questions? Please contact:
**details and times are going home in couriers this Friday
An Important Message from DeKalb County School District - Second Printing
Questions or suggestions for DCSD Transportation?
The Transportation Center Hotline will be active from August 3rd - 31st, 7:30 am – 6:00 pm. The numbers are:
678-676-1333 (main line) or 678-676-1305 (dispatch)
Super Family Fun Night...Tomorrow (August 26th)
Enjoy an evening cookout provided by the Evansdale PTA from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Burgers and Hotdogs will be provided. You provide the sides. Need a reminder of what to bring?
* Your own reusable cups, plates, and utensils for your family (those who do can win a prize)
* A side to share with 6-8 of your fellow eagles. PK-1st (ready to eat fruits and veggies), 2nd & 3rd grades (picnic side dishes such as potato salad, baked beans, coleslaw, etc), 4th grade (desserts), 5th grade (normal size bag of chips or pretzels & serving bowl)
5th grade will be selling drinks and other treats as a fundraiser for future 5th grade events, so your support will be greatly appreciated!
We hope to see everyone there!
A Few Final Notes....
* If you would like to schedule a conference with a teacher and/or administrator, please send him/her an email or send a note in with your student. Because we want to provide the best school days for your children every day, both teachers and administrators are unable to meet with parents on a drop in basis.
* We'd like to thank all parents for helping their eagles get used to the school routine and find their classrooms throughout the first few weeks of school. Everyone is doing well now, so we ask that students walk into the school by themselves for the rest of the year. This helps build self confidence in the students. If any students need assistance with the transition, we have staff members to help them get inside and settled.
* Please make sure your students have everything (backpacks, lunch boxes, agendas, instruments, etc.). they need for the day with them in the morning. This will greatly minimize class disruptions and encourage responsibility on the part of the students.
* There are no student checkouts after 2 p.m.
* All transportation changes need to be send either via email or hand-written note to the homeroom teacher by no later than 11 a.m.