EUP MiSTEM Region Newsletter
News and Resources from the EUP MiSTEM Region at the EUP Intermediate School District
As region 14 of the MiSTEM Network, the EUP MiSTEM Region is working with regional and statewide partners to empower education while making solid connections to business, industry, and careers.
EUP STEM Teachers at RMG Family Sugarbush
EUP Teachers as part of the EUP STEM Integrated Learning Team (ILT) met on January 12, 2022 at the EUPISD. We learned together in the morning by connecting with math programs facilitated by teacher leader Gwen Malaska and EUP math consultant Julie Bazinau. In the afternoon, our group was hosted by Derek Ross and RMG Family Sugarbush to learn about their business and the process of making maple products. There were so many connections made to math, science, engineering, and technology! We concluded that the business of maple syrup and sugar production definitely uses as facets of STEM! Thank you to everyone at RMG for hosting us and letting us learn from you!
PROFESSIONAL LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
- February 15, 2022: STEM ILT will be held at Crawford Hall at LSSU. This is highly recommended for any math/science/STEM teachers. We will be able to use the amazing lab facilities at LSSU where university faculty will lead us in some excellent lab experiences in genetics and chemistry. We will learn how to connect our classes with LSSU and will also learn how we can take what we learn into our own classrooms.
- February 16, 2022 from 9:00 am - Noon: The use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is becoming increasingly important as a tool in visualizing and analyzing data. It is also a very engaging tool for use in education. This workshop will help teachers to address computer science standards by modeling how to integrate computer science standards through the use of ArcGIS Online, a free web-based GIS program. The Cereal City Science curriculum will be used as the context through which the ArcGIS platform is supporting science learning. This hands-on workshop will show teachers how to enhance existing curriculum by using GIS as a tool for using computer science skills while engaged in science. No previous GIS experience is required. Target audience: Teacher leaders in any grade, teachers in grades K-5, consultants, facilitators.
Cereal City Science Professional Learning page: Grades 3-5 cohort opportunity!
- Each school can now register online. EUP teachers can register and should include their school’s information under “Billing Information”. The EUP MiSTEM Region will coordinate with Cereal City to pay for registrations for any EUP school districts and your school will not receive an invoice.
- EUP MiSTEM Region will cover the registration and will offer $100 stipends to teachers who attend all three after school sessions for each cohort. Contact Kevin St. Onge (firstname.lastname@example.org) if interested.
- Statewide CS PLN- Monthly meetings for supporting CS education in K-12
- Elementary PD for teachers- Free virtual workshops with SCECHs and Stipends through MiSTEM grant!
- Middle School and High School PD for teachers- Free virtual or face-to-face summer workshops with SCECHs and Stipends through MiSTEM grant!
STEM Teaching Tools
The STEM Teaching Tools are resources that have been developed through a project called ACESSE through the Council of State Science Supervisors. EUP teacher Billie Ennes was part of the team from Michigan, along with MiSTEM Executive Director Megan Schrauben who contributed to the development of STEM Teaching Tools! Thank you to Billie for representing Michigan and the EUP!
FIRST Robotics Season is underway!
Cedarville High School and FIRST Team 4988 hosted the EUP regional kickoff for FIRST Robotics this year and did a great job. Seven regional teams came in to watch the live kickoff and game release from FIRST Robotics and then receive their kit of parts to get started in their design and builds. This year's game is called Rapid React. Good luck to participating EUP teams from Ojibwe Charter, Brimley, Sault Ste. Marie, Cedarville, St. Ignace, Rudyard, and Mackinac Island!
We are working with a number of partner organizations regionally and statewide to provide connections between employers, students, job seekers, and economic development organizations. If you are from any of those sectors and are interested in discussing career awareness, internships, apprenticeships, work-based learning, and training/education please reach out to us! Here are a few of our partner resources that you may find helpful.
Contact: Kevin St. Onge
As the EUP MiSTEM Region director, Kevin works to serve STEM education and workforce development in Chippewa, Luce, and Mackinac Counties. The EUP STEM Region connects K-12 education, higher education, business/industry leaders, government agencies, and non-profits to engage in collaborative efforts regionally and statewide.