By: Abby Kaiser
Be Physically Active
Statistics on Health
Are organic foods really better for you? First of all, organic foods are way more expensive that foods that are sprayed with pesticides. Organic foods aren’t exactly more healthy or better for you (New researchers 1). According to Maureen Salamon, “Scientists found no consistent differences in vitamin content between organic and conventional foods and few significant differences in health benefits. They did not, however, that organic produce is 30 percent less likely to be contaminated with pesticides than conventional fruits and vegetables- though the pesticide levels of all foods fell within allowable limits- and that organic chicken and pork appeared to lessen exposure to antibiotic-resistant bacteria” (2). In other words, the only major difference between organic and conventional foods is that organic foods are less likely to be contaminated with pesticides.
Healthy Foods to Eat
· "Getting Started and Staying Active." - NHLBI, NIH. Department of Health and Human Services, 2011. Web. 31 Oct. 2012.
· "Organic Foods Not Healthier or More Nutritious, StudyÂ Says." Organic Foods Not Healthier or More Nutritious, Study Says. Health Media Ventures, 2012. Web. 31 Oct. 2012.
· "Reducing Access to Sugar-sweetened Beverages Among Youth." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 20 June 2011. Web. 31 Oct. 2012.
· Staff, Mayo Clinic. Mayo Clinic. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 07 Apr. 2010. Web. 31 Oct. 2012.
· N.d. Photograph. Ingredients of a Healthy Food. Localwin, 2005. Web. 31 Oct. 2012. <http://www.childrenshealthyfood.com/healthy-food-schools/healthy-food-pics.php>.
· N.d. Photograph. Obesity Rates. Medifast Plan, 2008. Web. 1 Nov. 2012. <http://www.themedifastplan.com/main/refuse-to-become-a-statistic-as-u-s-obesity-rate-skyrockets/>.
· N.d. Photograph. Get Active. Awesome, 2011. Web. 1 Nov. 2012. <http://paandhealth.blogspot.com/>.