WHO WERE 2 SCIENTISTS THAT BROUGHT FORTH SUPPORTING EVIDENCE TO WEGENER'S THEROYAND WHAT WAS THEIR EVIDENCE?
They were Arthur Holmes and Harry Hess. Their evidence was that thermal convection in the earth’s mantle could cause continents to move, but they suggested that the continents didn’t move but were “carried” by larger pieces of the earth’s crust called tectonic plates. And it let to the development of plate tectonics.
WHAT ARE THE 3 TYPES OF PLATES BOUNDARIES?
There are three different types of plate boundaries:
• Divergent boundaries: where new crust is generated as the plates pull away from each other.
• Convergent boundaries: where crust is destroyed as one plate dives under another.
• Transform boundaries: where crust is neither produced nor destroyed as the plates slide horizontally past each other.
WHAT TYPESOF MOVEMENT CAN OCCUR BETWEEN PLATES AND WHAT FEATURES CAN FORM FROM THIS MOVEMENT
Most modern geologists believe convection currents in the asthenosphere are the driving force for plate motion. The heat energy at the center of the planet is carried to the surface by currents. As they reach the surface, the currents cool and begin to sink back toward the center. Below the crust, pressure exerted on the bottom of the plates by the convection currents helps to push the plates along. Plates move at rates of The Pangaea supercontinent (top) and after it is broken up into Laurasia and Gondwanaland (bottom). Contemporary continental outlines are shown in graY
GIVE A SPECIFIC EXAMPLE OF A LOCATION ON EARTH WHERE EACH TYPES OF PLATES BOINDARY IS PRESENT
• Divergent boundaries: the Mid-Atlantic Ridge (from the Arctic Ocean to beyond the southern tip of Africa).
• Convergent boundaries:
- Oceanic-continental convergence: the coast of South America along the Peru-Chile trench.
- Oceanic-oceanic convergence: the Marianas Trench.
- Continental-continental convergence: in Asia (Himalaya).
• Transform boundaries: the San Andreas Fault zone in California, that it connects the East Pacific Rise with the South Gord.
WHAT DO PLATES TECHONICES AND OCEAN TRENCHES HAVE IN COMMON
HOW OLD ARE THE ROCKS OFF THE EAST COAST OF NORTH AMERICA IN RELATION TO THE ROCKS RIGHT ALONG
Over 4.6 billion years and it’s because the age of the formation of the Earth and the age of the rocks are the same.
WHY DO YOU THINK THIS IS THE CASE
I THINK THIS BECAUSETHEY HAVE NEVER CHANGE
WHAT IS A CONVECTION CURRENTS AND HOW DOES IT WORK
WHAT ARE THE 7 MAJOR PLATE BOUNDARIES
WHAT ARE TWO BAD EVENTS THAT CAN HAPPEN AS A DIRECT RESULT OF PLATE TECTONICS
HOW DID PLATE TECTONICS CAUSE THESE EVENTS
THEY PUSH UP AGAINST EACH OTHER