Library & Digital Resources
Welcome to the Heartland AEA library e-newsletter!
April 24, 2020
- High Interest Reading at Home or School with Ebooks
- You asked for it! New ebooks
- Action: IASL Award Book Delivery
- Interactives and Simulations
- Instructional Technology Supports
High Interest Reading at Home or School with Ebooks
Choose your adventure! (elementary)
It's a mystery! (elementary)
Graphic Novels (middle school)
Sports and Recreation #1 and #2 (middle school)
- Each guide includes book covers so students can browse the titles and choose the ones that jump off the shelf.
- There is a thumbs-up and down feature for each book.
- The guide can be downloaded and printed.
- Or, keep it as a download and then click the thumbs-up and down—it’s a fillable PDF.
- A book review form is linked to the elementary guides so students can practice their writing. Download to print or download and use as a fillable PDF.
- There is a message for parents to sit with their child to choose the titles that best meet the child’s interest and reading level, and subject.
Here are the links you are welcome to post or share in an email:
Choose your adventure!
It’s a mystery!
Sports and Recreation #1
Sports and Recreation #2
Action: IASL Award Book Delivery
If your name is on the IASL order form and you haven't heard from Perfection Learning, please reach out to Regina Yost, Customer Service Representative at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-831-4190. Please let Regina know whether books should be:
1. Shipped to the location indicated on the order
2. Shipped to an alternate location
3. Not shipped at this time
Interactives and Simulations
How can you preview before you recommend to staff? You need to be logged in AEA Scout for authentication purposes when you click the hyperlink. So, have AEA Scout open in a Chrome tab, open another tab and copy/paste (or click) the persistent link URL.
How did we find these? We logged in to AEA Scout, chose Advanced Search, entered a subject, scrolled down to Types and selected Interactives, then Apply Filters. When you look at the summary, there is a persistent link icon by the title that you can copy/paste.
So what's next? You can help teachers navigate AEA Scout. You can share these links with teachers and students in the LMS, email, Google Drive, etc. Teachers log in to AEA Scout with their AEA Learning Online u/p. Students log in with the Google or Microsoft email and password.
There's lots more to tell, but the big take-away is that teachers have access to interactives and simulations today! If you'd like assistance finding resources for teachers, start with Susan Schrader at Heartland AEA.
Life’s Instruction Manual / UNC-TV Science
Electricity: Generation, Transmission, and Distribution
Will There Be Enough Fresh Water?
Will the Air Be Clean Enough to Breathe?
Tour the Solar System
Why Do We Have Seasons?
NOVA Online / A Cosmic Crossword
Mountains and Rain Shadows / Interactive Lesson
How Big Is Our Universe?
Impact Craters on Earth
Pickle Lab / Exploratorium
Anatomy of a Firework
What Are Our Energy Choices?
What Is the Future of Earth’s Climate?
Ocean Acidification Awareness Game
Ocean Acidification and Marine Life
Planet Hunting Model
Map a Model Solar System
Map a Model Solar System
Colossal Fossil Jostle
World History Traveler / Bridging World History
The Founding Father
Discovery Atlas Interactive Map
- Coming Soon: Ebooks Projects for Families and Teachers / Annotated and Sortable List of Ebooks & Audiobooks / Copyright Owner's Exclusive Rights / Crash Course in Copyright (for Continuous Learning) / More Copyright Info / Ebooks coming soon! / Instructional Technology Supports
- Ebooks: Unlimited and Multiple Copies / TeachingBooks.net Webinar / Digital Content and Family Message / Zoom Help Sheets / A copyright attorney says...
- Principals, Copyright and Reading Books Online & Sterling Publishing / Free Booklist Access / Free SLJ Access / TeachingBooks Access / Tales 2 Go Audiobook List / What will you need?
- Digital Content Update
- HS Lesson Plans: Deepfake Videos / Top 10 Sites to Check Your Facts / Political Ad Analysis Worksheet / Verify Social Media Info in Real-Time / AASL Standards and Crosswalks
- 2020-21 IASL Award Order Form / Research Skills and College Readiness Gap / Financial Literacy Lessons and Books,K-5 / Digital Privacy Course / E-sports and Digital Privacy / Confirmation Bias / Fact Checking / Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) / The Yearling and Audiobooks / 2019 K-12 Digital Content Report
- New Ebooks & Digital Audiobooks / Highlighting, Annotating, Notetaking and AEA Scout / In the National News: Citing Your Source / Joint IASL/IRA Conference Registration / HS Media Literacy Lessons / 20 New Math Flash Cards / Civic Online Reasoning--Lessons & Assessments
January 10, 2020
- “Just let me listen to a good story.” / Deep Fake Videos / Mystery Science / Secondary Social Studies Ebooks: 39 New Titles / Podcasts in the Classroom / TeachingBooks.net Study
- 2020-21 IASL Award Book Order Form / Fake Photos Tool / EBSCO Password Change / Winter Posters / TeachingBooks.net / Books to Film Coming in 2020 / Pebble Go Bingo Cards / “Creative Commons for Educators and Librarians”--Free Book
- AASL national standards and Google CS First Curriculum / Native Voices in Culture Grams / Media Literacy in the Climate of Fake News / Iowa Social-Emotional Learning Standards
- AEA Scout: full-text, peer-reviewed, date display / More School Library Research / School Libraries: Student Achievement and Culture / Iowa and the 19th Amendment / PBS Series--Secondary / Esports and the School Library / More School Library Grant Info / FTC Rules on Social Media Influencers
- AEA Scout and Sharing Folders / My School Votes Initiative / Library Standards Quick Review / New Ebooks and Digital Audiobooks / Impeachment Videos / Copyright and Logos / Winter Posters
- Web Sites with Lesson Plans / PBS Learning Media and Lesson Plans / Licensing and Images / New Ebooks and Digital Audiobooks / Vaping Resources / Copyright and Book Covers / Importance of Notes (and AEA Scout) / School Library Grants / Order (Instructional) Posters Online / Secondary Science DVDs
- Ebooks in College Libraries / Reading and Relationships / Teacher Librarian Standards Online Learning / AEA Scout Updates / Voting and Elections Ebooks / Animals DVDs, K-3 / AEA Scout “Assignments” / Iowa Posters and Bookmarks / Professional Reading for TLs / Social Media and Ethics, Nov. 5
- Virtual Assistants and AI in the Classroom / Digital Content Report / HS U.S. History DVDs / TL Workshop Follow-up / I'm in IM
TeachingBooks.net ISBN Bar Code App / Impeachment Videos / Readers Theater Scripts / School Library SmartBrief / AEA Digital Library in AEA Scout
October 8 Teacher Librarian Workshop Registration / Tales 2 Go Just Added Audiobooks / SEBMH Streaming Video / Frontline Streaming Video / American Experience Streaming Video / Favorite K-3 Books in Streaming Video / Novel Effect App / Flipping for Genrefication Article
October 8 TL Workshop / Storytelling, Music and Sound Effects / IASL Award Books and TeachingBooks.net Links / TeachingBooks.net Webinars / College Readiness and School Teacher Librarians / New Digital Literacy Citizenship Curriculum / New Social Studies Ebooks and Iowa Anchor Standards
- Iowa School Library Programs / TL Meeting October 8 / Financial Literacy K-6 / Voices of History / HS Nonfiction Narrative Ebooks / Copyright: Can I Show Netflix in the Classroom? / Copyright: Creative Commons License / No Textbooks in College?
- Iowa School Library Program Standards / New Read-Alongs, K-12 / Bill Nye Videos / Digital Versions of 2019-20 IASL Award Books / Digital Citizenship Lessons / School Libraries and College Readiness / Student (Library) Privacy
- Grants and School Libraries / Digital Citizenship Lesson Plans / New Read-Alongs, K-12 / NGSS and Links to Ebooks
- Financial Literacy Streaming Videos / Curating Audiobooks for Staff and Students / Copyright and Book Covers / Iowa Posters and Bookmarks / Science Posters and Bookmarks