Otsego High School
Weekly Newsletter Semester 2 Week 14
From the Desk of Mr. O'Shea
Senior Important Dates
Our seniors are looking forward to the closing weeks of school with great anticipation. Below is information about the activities and requirements for seniors during the closing days leading up to graduation.
- Thursday, May 2nd - Last day to submit scholarship info AND/OR military confirmation information to Mrs. Clark in order to guarantee printing in the graduation program.
- Thursday, May 9th - Academic Awards Night (7:00pm in the Otsego HS Auditorium).
- Friday, May 10th - All outstanding fees are due on this day in order to participate in the graduation ceremony. Please make checks payable to: Otsego BOE.
- Saturday, May 11th - Prom at BGSU Grand Ballroom (ticket sales end May 3rd).
- Tuesday, May 14th - Last regular day of school for OHS seniors. If you are taking correspondence courses (not CCP), your final transcripts are due this day.
- Wednesday, May 15th ***Exams for OHS seniors.
- Thursday, May 16th ***Exams for OHS seniors.
- Friday, May 17th - Senior graduation practice (7:30 AM in OHS Commons) Attendance is MANDATORY: All seniors who plan to participate - in the graduation ceremony MUST attend this practice. Seniors, for graduation practice, please bring your cap and gown in order for the “Clap Out” and also dress nicely. Breakfast will be provided for you by the cafeteria staff. Make-up day for exams for Seniors.
- Sunday, May 19th - Graduation Ceremony (2:00 PM in the Otsego High School Gym)
PENTA IMPORTANT DATES
- Thursday, May 9th - Penta Senior Exams.
- Friday, May 10th - Penta Senior Exams, Last day for Penta Seniors, All outstanding school fees are due. ***Penta students are still responsible for paying their Otsego class dues and any outstanding balances.
- Tuesday, May 14th - Penta Senior Recognition Ceremonies for select programs.
- Wednesday, May 15th - Penta Senior Recognition Ceremonies for select programs.
- Thursday, May 16th - Penta Senior Recognition Ceremonies for select programs.
- Sunday, May 19th - Graduation Ceremony (2:00 PM in the Otsego High School Gym)
This is an exciting and memorable time for your senior. Otsego students have traditionally behaved like ladies and gentlemen at all school activities. We have come to expect this from all Otsego students, and it is the exception rather than the rule when this does not happen.
A word of caution about senior pranks - please talk with your son or daughter and help us keep the last few weeks safe and devoid of any controversy which might affect graduation activities and their ability to walk across the stage a. In order to avoid potential problems, we will again have campus security.
Please review the dates and activities with your senior so that everyone may cooperate to make the last days of school and graduation a pleasant occasion that will be remembered with pride.
1st Annual Baccalaureate Service
State Testing Dates
Spring Testing Dates:
Below are the dates that Otsego High School will be administering each test. (Note: Other high schools may have chosen different dates to test. Also, this does not reflect the JH and Elementary testing times either).
MATH State Tests
Wednesday, April 24th (Algebra 1 & Geometry) *Parts 1 & 2
SCIENCE State Tests
Thursday, April 25th (Biology) *Parts 1 & 2
SOCIAL STUDIES Tests
Friday, April 26th (American History & Government) *Parts 1 & 2
2019 Buckeye Girls State Delegates
The Tontogany Auxiliary #441 and the Sons' of American Legion #441 are happy to announce that Margaret Lehsten and Katelyn Duncan will be representing our Legion at Buckeye Girls State 2019.
Otsego Goes to PARIS!
We hope to offer two parties by the end of this school year and then one every month when school starts next year leading up to the trip in April 2020!
We have all seen our friends on facebook having a great time creating adorable paintings with a fun group of people. That's exactly what we are pulling together! Treats will be provided by the students including Olivia's Cupcakes!
If you cannot attend on this date please consider a monetary donation that will be applied directly to the students' trip costs. Our first class is limited to 45 people due to supplies. We are hoping to accommodate more as time goes on. Email me at email@example.com with any questions.
PAINT PARTY Fundraiser #2
Our next paint party for our Paris trip is Monday, May 6th at 6:30. As of now, it is in my classroom again unless we locate a new site. This time I am attaching a google sheet to sign up on and you then can pay $40 at the door that evening. (Make checks out to Otsego BOE)
I have a lot of spring painting ideas to narrow down! We had soooo much fun at the last one I am really excited about doing it again! Spread the word!
Click Here to sign up!
Apply to PENTA Career Center
THE WEEK IN PICTURES
***For the most up to date Schedules please go to the main HS Website, these only get posted once per week and may not reflect changes. High School Website with updated Dates
Otsego Athletics is on Twitter and Facebook. Follow (@OtsegoAthletics) for high school scores and other athletic department information.
OVLA - Online School
Food Service Department
Parents, please check your student's meal account balances. We have several students at or over the three meal charge limit. We send letters home twice a week with elementary students and also email parents at all grade levels.
The free and reduced meal applications are available online or in the school office. CLICK HERE FOR THE ONLINE APPLICATION
As many of you may remember we have the "Pay it Forward" account which is to keep students from receiving an alternate meal. At this point, the account is nearing zero. If you are interested in donating to the Pay It Forward program please contact Jeanne Jeffers, firstname.lastname@example.org or Adam Koch, email@example.com. Once the Pay It Forward account gets to zero, we will have no choice but to implement our districts unpaid meal charges policy, which follows.
If you have any questions or concerns.
Jeanne Jeffers, 419-823-4381 ext 1104 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Ag and FFA News
World's Finest Chocolate Sales!
Knight in Shining Armour
Please use the following form to inform OHS Student Council about a family in need within the school district. While the family does not need to have students in the district, we do ask that they are a member of the Otsego Community. Use this form to share information about their current situation as well as how they can best be assisted.
Please be sure to understand that while Knight in Shining Armor (KISA) would love to help all community members in need, we are still a new program, and may not have the funds to do so. With that being said, we will consider each request on a case by case basis. Filling this form out does not guarantee that we will be able to assist the family, but we will try our hardest to do so!
Here are some things that we have done with KISA funds:
- School supplies were purchased for multiple families.
- Gas money has been provided to get to and from medical treatment.
- Food cards have been provided to help families afford meals while going through medical treatment.
- Cash donations have been made to families to help assist in paying bills during medical treatment.
- Gift cards and supplies have been provided to help make ends meet after housing emergencies have occurred.
We now have TWO ways that you can nominate a family in need. Bookmark the link below to use as the need arises. You can also find this link on the Otsegoknights.org webpage under the "District" tab.
Please do not hesitate to nominate a family in need, and KISA will do their best to help out!
The Grand Rapids Pool is looking to hire approximately 4-5 lifeguards for the summer.
The pool will be open Memorial Day until August 11, with the public swim hours from 1pm to 7pm.
There is an upcoming guard certification class at BGSU starting April 12th. For more information please contact Shaun Downey at 419-409-0075 mobile or 419-823-3002 office.
Foreign Exchange Student Program
Communication with the High School
1. High School Website CLICK HERE The Otsego High School website will more effectively highlight what is important to us and the community. We keep the high school site updated with pictures, news articles, and other important information regarding the district and the building.
2. Remind 101 (Text to: 81010 Message: @otseg there is no "o" at the end just @otseg. That's it. You will receive a message that says you've been added to our group. You will receive text messages straight to your mobile device). If you don't want to text, you can go to https://www.remind.com/join and just type in (otseg) as the class code.
3. Twitter (follow @otsegohsoffice, @KosheaOHS, or @OtsegoAthletics)