Feb. 14, 2016
Valentine's Day Prescription
"We need four hugs a day for survival. We need eights hugs a day for maintenance. We need twelve hugs a day for growth. ~Virginia Snair
Where is Riley?
Where is Riley going next? Keep me posted.
A Quote. . .
~Elena Bodrova and Deborah Leong, Tools of the Mind
The Big Picture
HSE21 is the big picture, but if we aren't sure what HSE21 means, it's not that helpful to identify it as our goal/focus/the big picture.
My goal is to get our working definition posted in the collab room so we can return to it again and again. I want each and every one of us to be rock solid in our understanding. We need to be able to articulately talk with parents and stakeholders about HSE21. And althought HSE21 is not iPads, we need to be rock solid in our understanding of how iPads in our students' hands will amplify HSE21.
As we move forward these last three and a half months of school, we will construct understanding together.
HSE21 IN ACTION!
Do you know what a geode is? These first graders sure do! With digital tools for learning, even these young students have been able to explore their interests, discover new ones, and share their learning beyond the classroom. Take a look at this clip - the iPads are one tool enabling the inquiry - but books and actual geodes play a big role as well!
Upcoming PD Reminders and Revisions
- Friday, Feb. 19 @ 7:35 AM - Chapter 4 of The Art of Teaching Reading - The structure of a workshop
- Tuesday, Feb. 23 @ 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM - Need more ideas for problem solving? Learning how to Mystery Skype - Georgi's room
- Tuesday, Feb. 23 @ 7:00 PM - Viewing of He Named Me Malala at the Lederach house for those interested
For Your Calendar
- Feb. 17-19 Collab - School Improvement Plan PD Cycle - HSE21 - The Big Picture
- Feb. 25 @ 8:00 - Inside Info book study - chapters 3-4
- Feb. 25 @ 5:00 - Math Bowl with our 4th graders and Jami @RIS
- Feb. 29-March 11 - ISTEP
- March 1 - PTO Open Forum at FJH - Dr. Bourff will discuss the Rerendum
- March 4 - Student Council Sock Hop
Monday, Feb. 15
- No School - Presidents' Day
Tuesday, Feb. 16
- No school if we don't have a day off for weather
Wednesday, Feb. 17 Day 4
- 2:00 Office meeting
- 3:10 Collab Team 2 - SIP PD Cycle #1
Thursday, Feb. 18 Day 1
- 7:50 Student Council
- 3:10 Collab Team 3 - SIP PD Cycle #1
Friday, Feb. 19 Day 2
- Fire Drill sometime today
- 7:35 Staff Meeting/PD - Mini-lessons
- 3:10 Collab Team 4 - SIP PD Cycle #1
Monday, Feb. 22 Day 3
- 8:00 ISTEP Meeting in the library
- 3:10 Collab Team K
Tuesday, Feb. 23 Day 4
- 8:00 AM/4 PM - Tech Tuesday - Need more ideas for problem solving? Learning how to Mystery Skype
- 3:10 Collab Team 1
Wednesday, Feb. 24 Day 1
- 8:00 Share the Load - TH - Dankoski - Collab room
- 2:00 Office meeting
- 3:10 Collab Team 2
- 7:00 School Board meeting
Thursday, Feb. 25 Day 2
- 8:00 Inside Info book study - Collab room
- 3:10 Collab Team 3
- 4:05 Discussion - Lisa's office
- 5:00 Math Bowl - RIS
Friday, Feb. 26 Day 3
- College Wear Day - Support your favorite college/university
- 7:35 Diversity 21 - Collab room
- 1:00 PTO Exec bd. meeting
- 3:10 Collab Team 4
- 6:00 HSSF Game Day dinner at Connor Prairie