Grade 2 News
Newsletter #1: Who We Are UOI
UOI 1: Who We Are
An inquiry into the nature of the self; beliefs and values; personal, physical, mental, social and spiritual health; human relationships including families, friends, communities, and cultures; rights and responsibilities; what it means to be human.
Central idea: There are rights and responsibilities of being a member of a community.
Key concepts: Form, Perspective, Responsibility
Related concepts: Citizenship, leaders, change, matter, properties, perspective
Lines of inquiry
- How beliefs impact our communities (Perspective)
- Making choices that impact our community (Responsibility)
- Different roles in the community (Form)
UOI Field Trip Reflection
What have we been up to this Unit?
Building and testing structures
Students built towers and explored properties of successful towers
Students explored materials outside and discussed the difference between man made and natural materials
Students explored properties of structures including bridges and tested them for how much weight they were able to hold while also exploring what materials and properties made successful bridges.
The writing Process
Adding and Subtracting to 100
- how to identify fact families,
- draw out the equation
- use patterns to help them solve
What to expect next......
- Starting our second investigation in Science exploring how liquids behave, and identifying properties of liquids. Students will use tools to measure liquid and find puddles in the environment and explore their properties and how they are formed.
- Delving deeper into our unit of inquiry into communities by exploring how our different opinions and beliefs impact how we interact in our community and how communities function differently around the world based on individual and community beliefs.
- Working in Module 2 in which students engage in activities designed to deepen their conceptual understanding of measurement and to relate addition and subtraction to length.
- Continuing our work with the writing process and work on Linking words in our writing. We will be building resources and identifying goals individually through our literacy program Daily Five. Students will begin their work on using linking words in their writing as well as work with compound words and their meaning.
School Book Fair!
Monday, Oct. 10th 2016 at 7:30am to Saturday, Oct. 15th 2016 at 5pm
6785 Business Parkway
- Our end of unit summative is coming up and students will be completing an opinion writing piece demonstrating all that they have learned from this unit and applying this learning into personal action. Summatives will take place in the classroom and can not be done at home however if you would like to help prepare your child please feel free to discuss the central idea, lines of Inquiry and connections to actions with real world examples within their home and family. Students can also share what things they have talked about in school and what things they have learned about families, communities, roles, and how these things help us meet our needs. Please review the assignment description and rubrics on Managebac by clicking on the calendar and looking for the date October 21st which is the day it will be due. We will be working on it over the last two weeks of the Unit.
WAY TO TAKE ACTION!
- Yusuf Massod
- Masa Altamimi
- Aila Murtaza
Also thanks to these parents for your volunteering, gifts, and donations to the classroom- every donation makes our learning environment more fun and enjoyable for everyone!
- Khadijah's Family
- Fahim's family
- Malakai's family