Bushy Bear Tales
Volume 16- May 14, 2018
From Mrs. Ketterer:
How can we have reached the double digits of May?? So much has happened and so much still lies ahead. Please join us for our special events. We welcome your support, especially at the ones that request volunteers! Stay tuned for more updates, check out the calendar of events, those in bold are recently added.
THIS WEEK'S FOCUS: Ensuring Adult Support for Students at Evening School Events.
Should a child arrive at an evening school event without an adult, an administrator, staff member or PTA Chairperson will phone the parent to determine when they might be arriving. If necessary, the child can remain with adults-in-charge of events until their parent arrives.
This Friday, there will be a sign-in at our front entrance for Spring Fling. We will be welcoming families, signing everyone in, giving the bracelets, etc. If you are hosting a Vendor Table, please ensure that there is an adult with your child(ren).
We are encouraging families to remain together during evening school events. This increases safety for all children attending. Thank you for your ongoing support and care of our students!
- 14 4th Grade PARCC Testing- MATH Day 1 @ 10:30-12:30 p.m.
- 14 5th Grade Panoramic Photo @ 12:00 p.m.
- 15 4th Grade PARCC Testing- MATH Day 2 @ 10:30-12:30 p.m.1
- 16 4th Grade PARCC Testing- MATH Day 3 @ 10:30-12:30 p.m.
- 16 40/10 Celebration Planning Meeting @ 4:00-5:00 p.m.
- 17 Leo Club Meeting @ 8:30 a.m.
- 17 Pre-K Field Trip to Clark's Elioak Farm @ 9:15 a.m.-1:15 p.m.
- 17 4th Grade PARCC Testing- MATH Day 4 @ 10:30-12:30 p.m.
- 17 2nd Grade Brass Rubbing
- 18 Early Dismissal @ 12:45 p.m.
- 18 Spring Fling @ 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- 21 5th Grade Simulated Congressional Hearing Begins @ 9:30 a.m. in Cafeteria
- 21 3rd Grade PARCC Testing- MATH Day 1 @ 10:30-12:30 p.m.
- 22 3rd Grade PARCC Testing- MATH Day 2 @ 10:30-12:30 p.m.
- 23 3rd Grade PARCC Testing- MATH Day 3 @ 10:30-12:30 p.m.
- 24 3rd Grade PARCC Testing- MATH Day 4 @ 10:30-12:30 p.m.
- 24 Band Concerts: In-School @ 2:30 p.m. and Evening Concert @ 7:00 p.m.
- 25 SPIRIT DAY: Dress Alike Day
- 28 SCHOOLS CLOSED: Memorial Day
- 30 4th Grade Field Trip to Robinson Nature Center @ 9:50-2:10 p.m.
- 30 40/10 Celebration Planning Meeting @ 4:00-5:00 p.m.
- 1 Field Day
- 4 Field Day Rain Date
- 4 Chorus Concert: In-School @ 2:30 p.m.
- 5 Media Center: All media books due
- 6 String Concerts: In-School @ 9:30 a.m. and Evening Concert Chorus/String @ 7:00 p.m. at GHS Auditorium
- 6 Kindergarten In-House Field Trip: Scales and Tales @ 12:15 p.m.
- 6 Leo Club Ice Cream Party @ 2:45 p.m. in the Cafeteria
- 6 Final 40/10 Meeting in the Media Center @ 4:00 p.m.
- 7 3rd Grade Field Trip to Baltimore Museum of Industry @ 9:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
- 7 1st Grade Celebration at Western Regional Park @ 11:15-2:00 p.m.
- 8 4thGrade Celebration at Western Regional Park @ 12:30-3:30 p.m.
- 8 40/10 Celebration Begins @ 5:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.
- 11 5th Grade Farewell Celebration @ 9:30 a.m.-11:00 a.m. in the Cafeteria / 5th Grade Picnic Celebration 11:30-3:00 p.m. on the BPES Blacktop area
- 12 2nd Grade Celebration at Western Regional Park @ 11:45 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
- 12 3rd Grade Author's Tea @ 2:30 -3:30 p.m.
- 13 4Q Recognition Assembly: Primary @ 9:30 a.m. / Intermediate @ 2:30 p.m.
- 14 Flag Day Ceremony @ 9:30 a.m. at the Flagpole (weather permitting)
- 15 Early Dismissal @ 12:45 p.m.
- 18 Early Dismissal @ 12:45 p.m.
- 19 Early Dismissal @ 12:45 p.m.
Parent Consideration Cards Sent Home - Please Return by May 23rd
As the end of this school year approaches, we are beginning to look toward the next school year. We focus on sharing information and what we’ve learned about our students in order to promote continuous progress.
We sent home special blue copies of a Consideration Card for you to use. We will also be offering reminders via HCPSS Messenger to help us have a larger return.
This Consideration Card is for you, as parents, to relate specific student information or observations about your child that you feel would be beneficial as our teachers meet to determine next year’s placements. For example:
- “My child seems to work much better in a classroom space with opportunity for movement and with a teacher who has a structured routine.”
- “My child is shy and often knows the answer, but is afraid to raise his/her hand and would work best with a teacher who gently encourages participation.”
It is helpful to focus on your child’s learning characteristics. Your feedback as a parent is valuable. There are certain concerns that we cannot consider as part of this Consideration Form: therefore, we ask that you NOT use the form to propose the following:
- Do not request specific teachers.
- Do not request grouping based on siblings’ experiences
- Do not request grouping with friends
- Do not request grouping based on hearsay
Your child’s current and future teachers will read your Parent Consideration Card. We consider what you share as valuable information to get to know them as learners, as well as, input for their future instructional groups.
Last year we reached the milestone of 40% of our families returning a Parent Consideration Form for their child(ren). This year we reach for a higher percentage and thank you ahead of time for taking the time to share your input!
The Official Invite and Details for Bushy Park's 40/10 Celebration
Field Day is June 1st !!
Our annual Field Day is just around the corner on Friday, June 1 (rain date June 4). During Field Day, we emphasize teamwork and good sportsmanship. All students in Kindergarten through Fifth grade will participate in Field Day. Field Day will be a full day event for all students with over 50 different activities for students to choose from. Remember, there will be stations where students have the option to get a little wet so please have students dress accordingly.
To build a sense of team spirit in each grade level, your child will be assigned a team color to wear. This also helps us identify the grade level groups of students as they rotate through their activities. See below for the color each grade will wear.
We ask students to wear a solid colored t-shirt with their assigned color on field day. The grade level colors are the following:
- 5th Grade- Blue
- 4th Grade- Green
- 3rd Grade- Orange
- 2nd Grade- Purple
- 1st Grade- Yellow
- Kindergarten- Red
This year we're using SignUp.com (formerly VolunteerSpot) to organize our upcoming Field Day Sign-ups. Here's how it works:
- Go to this link to see our Sign-up: http://signup.com/go/PQbcyyK
- Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you like. Please note that sign-up spots differ in duration based on the schedule for Field Day.
- Please ensure that you can work for the ENTIRETY of the spot you sign up for. Of course, if you plan to volunteer all day you may sign up for multiple spots as long as they do not overlap!
Note: Sign Up does not share your email address with anyone. If you prefer not to use your email address, please contact us and we can sign you up manually. If you haven’t taken the online parent volunteer training this year, please visit bpes.hcpss.org and complete that training. Parent volunteer training is required. You will receive your specific station assignment upon arrival on Field Day.
If you have any questions, please email either Mr. Rosenthal or Mr. Cruz and we can further explain the process of volunteering for Field Day.
Bear Hug Winners - May 4th
May 4th. Congratulations to:
Bear Hug Winners - May 11th
May 11th.. Congratulations to:
Recycled Sculpture Artists Respond to the Call!
The Leo Club also chose some sculptures to highlight with special certificates:
- Pre-Kindergarten: Joseline Nataren
- Kindergarten: Amelia Miller
- 1st Grade: Myah Dutton
- 2nd Grade: Brock Miller
- 3rd Grade: Kendell Ronaghan
- 4th Grade: Anvi Patel
- 5th Grade: Josh Baumwald
- Most Creative: Joseline Nataren (Pre-Kindergarten
- Most Realistic: Josh Baumwald (5th Grade)
These students inspire all of us to recycle and reuse materials to make some art magic!