Career Research Project
1. Does this career require a college or technical degree?
To be a psychologist you need a Masters or Doctoral degree. A license is also required for most psychologists.
2. How many years of school?
A Masters degree in psychology takes at least 2 years of full time study and a Doctoral degree in psychology takes 5 to 7 years.
3. What are good colleges to attend for this career?
Some good colleges to attend for this career are:
University of California-Berkeley
University of California-Los Angeles and
1. What skills does this career require?
This job requires skills like:
an interest in people, compassion, patience, and communication skills.
2. Do you have to have these skills in order to have this career?
Yes, you need these skills in order to be successful in this career because in order to be successful, you need to be able to be compassionate and patient.
1. What is the annual salary or hourly rate?
The median salary of this job is $48,320.
2. Does it stay the same or increase annually?
3. What is the least you could make? Most?
the least you could make being a psychologist is: $68,900. The least you could make is $15,000.
4. Does the education make a difference in salary?
I think the type of education you have does impact the pay, because if you have a lower degree, you might not be able to do as much as someone with a Doctoral degree so you might get paid less.
Job Duties & Type of Work
1. What is the job description?
Psychologists help people understand why certain actions are made. They analyze physical, cognitive, emotional, or social aspects of human behavior as well as the human mind.
2. What hours/days are required to work?
If you have your own private practice you make your own hours, but many work if clinics and schools during business hours.
3. Is this a career that can be found in any city?
It can be found pretty much wherever you go, it will be mostly in the bigger cities.
4. Is the work done inside or outdoors?
This job is done indoors in a comfortable environment, whether they are in hospitals consulting with doctors or in offices helping patients.
Job Benefits and Drawbacks
1. What are the benefits of this career?
You get to help people conquer their fears and overcome their problems and you get to work with new people everyday.
2. What are some things that may not be so great about this career?
Patients aren't always the easiest to deal with, you have to make your own business, and if you don't work for yourself you have crazy hours.
1. Why do you think this is the right career for you?
2. What are your weaknesses?
3. What are your strengths?
4. What are some of your career goals?
5. If I hire you, what will you bring to this organization?
6. What are your research interests?
7. What do you look for in supervision?
8. Describe your internship experience.
9. What theoretical orientation do you support?
10. What are your goals and future plans as a psychologist?