The Pride of the Drive
Athens Drive Band Boosters Issue 1 - 7/16/20
- July 20th - Marching Band Pre-Camp POSTPONED til further notice
- July 21st - Parent Information Meeting POSTPONED
- July 21st - Booster Fair POSTPONED
- July 22nd - Chaperone Meeting POSTPONED
- July 27th - Marching Band Camp POSTPONED til further notice
- July 29th - Virtual New Parent Meeting - 7pm via ZOOM (more details coming soon)
Tradition and Resilience
For a band built on tradition, these are tough times! We are sitting in a bit of a holding pattern in what would normally be an exciting time full of activity. This is usually the time of year that we kick into high gear preparing for camp and the upcoming marching band season. Typically at this time, newbies might be a bit anxious as they anticipate meeting the kids in their sections. Parents preparing for camp might also be anxious; planning the seemingly endless logistics of camp, and in some cases, preparing for their child to spend a week away from home for the first time ever. Camp is where we lay the foundation of work ethic, sportsmanship, teamwork and leadership that we build on throughout the year. It is where long lasting bonds of friendship are formed. And it is not an exaggeration to say that band camp is a transformative experience for MANY students. This would have been our 24th year of holding band camp at Wesleyan College. So it is with heavy hearts that we have set aside this tradition this year.
But it is not in our nature to dwell on the difficulties. As many of you know, Doc has an incredible positive energy that filters down to the rest of us. Last year, after coming SO close and experiencing disappointments at competitions, our band NEVER gave up or sulked. Under Doc’s leadership, the kids dug in, finally winning Grand Champion at their last competition. What a great feeling that was! For inspiration we have included a link to a video of that performance.
When band class had to pivot in a new direction last spring and Doc’s classes had to go “virtual,” Doc certainly made the most of it. His video classes were educational and entertaining for parents as well as students. We have shared a link to a "Doc Talk" so that you newbies can experience one for yourselves!
And in an our own effort to adapt to a new way of doing things, we are launching this weekly newsletter. We hope to keep our band family up to date, informed, and maybe even inspired for the coming year. Our goal is to honor our traditions as best we can and demonstrate the resilient nature of our band family as we navigate these unchartered waters.
Right now, we wait, like all of you, for good news on the remainder of the season and remain hopeful that we will be able to experience some of what makes the Athens Drive Band so unforgettable. Whatever this year brings, you can be sure the Athens Drive Band will make the most of it!
Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns!
Michelle Major and Laurie Cockman
Athens Drive Band Booster Co-Presidents
Feature Flashback - 2019 ADHS Marching Band Grand Championship Performance
- New this year!! Follow the band on Instagram @athensdrivebands
- A digital Band Booster Fair is heading your way soon--stay tuned for more details
- All new families should have been contacted by their Mentor family. If you have not heard from your mentor yet, please let us know!
- Are you receiving band emails from our Yahoo mail group? If not, check out our Communications page at www.athensdriveband.com for instructions on signing up for mail.