The Golden Apple
School Board Member Appreciation Month
It is a time to acknowledge the board’s role in creating educational opportunities that meet the goals set forth by the community for their children. These goals are measured by providing a pathway to a successful future for each and every student.
School Board Members Day is an occasion to recognize board members who serve as unpaid volunteers for the benefit of the students and community residents, while also acting as front-line education advocates providing a local voice and vision for the district. Never has school board leadership been more important than the past two years.
Please join us in thanking the RLAS-116 Board of Education!
- Michael Francisco, President
- Peg Larson, Vice President
- Annette Negrete McGinley, Secretary
- Kevin Devera, Member
- Scott Jewitt, Member
- Jennifer Klingler, Member
- Julie Lee, Member
COVID-19 Vaccine Now Available to Children Aged 5 and Older
This month, an announcement was released communicating that the Emergency Use Authorization for the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine was expanded to include children aged 5-11. The Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine is authorized for children and adolescents aged 5 and up, as a 2-dose series administered 3 weeks apart. The dose for children aged 5-11 is one-third of the dose of the vaccine for older adolescents and adults.
The Lake County Health Department encourages parents to explore their options for the pediatric COVID-19 vaccine:
- Contact your child’s pediatrician or your family doctor.
- Check with your local pharmacy.
- Register at allvax.lakecohealth.org so that you will be notified when you can schedule an appointment through the Lake County Health Department.
- Visit vaccines.gov to find a provider near you that may have pediatric vaccines available.
Round Lake Area Exchange Club Youth of the Month - October 2021
Congratulations to the October 2021 Youth of the Month, RLHS senior, Saul Torres!
Parent Needs Assessment Survey Results
Thank you to all who participated! Results indicate that parents' preferred method of communication includes text and email. Additionally, parents are seeking resources related to academic and behavior supports, social emotional assistance, and are interested in staying connected to school events and activities.
The District has begun developing a plan to create and provide additional resources in these areas and will continue to utilize the preferred methods of communications as outlined in the survey results.
Twilight Tutoring Program
We are pleased to announce that a Twilight Tutoring Program is available to all RLAS-116 students, in grades K-12!
Twilight Tutoring provides students with virtual access to certified teaching staff after the regular school hours have ended on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 5:30pm-7:30pm.
Teachers will assist with assignments as well as provide targeted academic support to students in math, science, ELA, and social studies.
Students may access the Help icon in a Canvas course to access the tutoring zoom link.
Please contact your child’s teacher or school administration if you have questions about the Twilight Tutoring Program.
State Assessments Parent Access
Round Lake Area Schools is pleased to inform you of a new and innovative method for presenting your student Illinois Assessment of Readiness (IAR) test results.
- IAR Parent Portal – Introducing https://il-results.pearsonaccessnext.com, where you can access individual student results and resources to support everything you need to know about your child's performance on the Illinois Assessment of Readiness for English Language Arts and Math. This portal also allows you to add your student’s Spring 2021 test results to your user account and access them in the future.
- Video Individual Score Reports (Video ISRs) – Video ISRs are personalized videos created specifically for your student that walk through the information presented on their student's score report. Delivered via the IAR Parent Portal, video ISRs combine student-specific animation and voiceovers to help you better understand your student’s assessment results and direct you to resources that are tailored for your student's needs. We encourage you to watch these videos with your child and discuss any questions with your student’s teacher.
As in the past, you will continue to receive paper copies of the Individual Student Reports (ISRs). However, new this year, included on the ISR, will be an individual claim code unique to your student. With this code you will be able to securely access your student’s test results in the IAR Parent Portal. The claim code is located on the paper version of your child's report that was sent home in October.
Reminder: Only students in grades 3-8 who attended the Hybrid Learning program last Spring participated in the 2021 IAR assessments.
Please contact your child's school office if you have any questions about this information.