NHS Band & Guard
Band, Ten Hut!
Summer Rehearsals are Well Underway!
We understand and encourage members to go and enjoy their summer vacation... If you are in Newtown, however, we expect you to be at scheduled rehearsals. If you cannot be at rehearsal, please let your section leader know in advance.
Sectionals are held on Mondays from 5:00 pm - 7:30 pm. (Guard will practice until 8:00 pm since they remain outside.)
Full Band and Guard Rehearsals are held on Wednesdays. (Guard will practice until 8:00 pm since they remain outside.)
- Always arrive 15 minutes early
- Enter through the main entrance of the school!
- Bring your instrument or equipment, your music, and a LOT of water
- Wear sneakers/shoes for marching - no flip-flops please!
We Need Program Ads!
If you haven't already done so, please start "pounding the pavement," sell some ads, and earn some credits for yourself as well.
Now that we are practicing on a regular basis, Tracey Elston (this year's Program Ads Coordinator) will be checking the Blue Band Box on a regular basis, so bring everything you have as soon as you have it! Feel free to email her with any questions...
If you need the forms, please visit the Fundraising Page of the NHS Band & Guard website or simply use these links to get started:
- Program Book Advertising Fundraiser (General Information)
- Program Book Ad Contract
- Program Book Ad Receipt
If you need help with the ad layout, please email the logo, copy, contact information, and size of ad to email@example.com.
Remember: you must put your name on the paperwork to earn credit! :)
Last but not least, we would like to thank those businesses and individuals who have already supported us:
- 133 22nd Ave LLC
- Baum Braces
- Berkshire Hathaway Home Services
- Brookview Dental, LLC
- Church Hill Physical Therapy
- Core Fitness Health Club
- Cover Two Sports Cafe
- Creative Music & Arts, LLC
- CT Braces
- Danbury Autowerks
- Divine Dogs
- Fairgrounds Wine & Spirits
- Kay Marbeth
- Levine Automotive
- Lions Bleecker St. Pizza
- Meghani Insurance Agency
- Monroe Animal Hospital
- Mt. Pleasant Hospital for Animals
- Neurovation Center
- New England Total Energy
- Newtown Chiropractic Health Center
- Newtown Cleaners
- Nutmeg Cleaners
- Pediatric Associates of Western CT
- Red Baron Carpet, LLC
- Roberto's Barber Shop
- 7/25: If you'd like to place a Summer Scrip order, please either drop your check in the Blue Band Box or use PrestoPay by July 25! Not sure what PrestoPay is or how it works? Check out the attachment on the bottom of the email or the file attached below.
- 7/28: Props to You! Please see above for details.
- You will receive a detailed email in the coming weeks about Band Camp in August... for now, simply be aware that Band & Guard members are booked "Band & Guard Solid" during the weeks of August 13 - 17 and August 20 - 24, and it will be the best two weeks of the season!
The daily schedule during those two weeks will generally be: 8:15 arrival; 8:30 am - 12:00 pm, practice outside; 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm, lunch; 1:30 pm - 4:15 pm, practice inside; 4:15 pm - 5:30 pm, dinner; 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm, practice outside. There will be changes based on weather, etc., but that's the general plan!
Note: Uniform Fittings/Distribution are on Wednesday, 8/15 and Thursday, 8/16... the original handouts given out at Orientation were incorrect. Please mark your calendars, make sure your band accounts are up to date, and watch for a plea for volunteers soon!
- 8/17: Let's Go Cosmic Bowling from 6:00 - 9:00 pm! Band Camp will end at 3:45 PM on Friday, August 17th so its members can attend the Cosmic Bowling event. All students and family members are encouraged to attend this fun 3-hour bowling event at Brookfield Lanes – cost will be $25 per person.
This is a fundraiser for the Band & Guard Greg Chion Scholarship. Greg Chion was a
drum major in the NHS Band & Guard who lost his battle with Leukemia in his senior year during the fall season on October 26, 2000. The NHSBPC strives to keep his memory alive through offering a scholarship of $1,000 to a band or guard senior each year, please help us by supporting this event. Watch for a special event invitation & RSVP in the next week or so through the NHS Band & Guard Parent Portal.
- 9/29: We are hosting The Grasso Festival (our home show) on this date - please mark your calendars now, as we will definitely need your help!
- 10/13: The NHS Band & Guard is traveling to MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ to compete in the Yamaha Cup - this is our two-night trip for the Fall Season, and much more info will be forthcoming.
- 10/27: USBands NE States Championships at Veterans Memorial Stadium in New Britain, CT.
- 11/03: USBands NE Regional Championships, venue TBD.
- 11/10: USBands National Championships at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ.
- 11/13: NHS Band & Guard Banquet.
The Blue Band Box
Program Ads, Deposits, & Health Forms can all be put in the Blue Band Box that is in the band room... Just ask any band or guard member where it is!
When using the Blue Band Box, please put whatever you are dropping off in an envelope with a label or the contents written on the outside so we can get it to the correct person, for example: "Program Ad", "Deposit Check", "Merchandise", etc.
All the Info, All the Time!
- Visit the NHS Band & Guard website and bookmark it - it is a key part of our communication with you... and if you're a gmail calendar fan, be sure to add ours to yours! The link is right on our home page!
- If you are on Facebook, ask to join our closed FB group. It's way more fun than the public page! (We promise we will let you in if you're in the band...)
- If you are over 18, please sign up for REMIND by texting @nhsbandg to the number 81010. It's the best way to get the important info quickly.
Have a Question?
There's always an answer... Feel free to reach out to a NHSBPC board member directly.
- Laura Taylor, President: 203-751-2009 (c)
- D.J. Ledina, Vice President: 203-240-6966 (c)
- Lisa Keeping, Treasurer: 203-417-7047 (c)
- Dan Krauss, Recording Secretary: 203-364-6022 (c)
- Pia Ledina, Corresponding Secretary: 203-313-4361 (c)