VOLUNTEER IN PROYECTO ABRAHAM
European Solidarity Corps Programme (ESC)
As a volunteer, the European Solidarity Corps lets you learn through non-formal experiences, improve existing skills or acquire new ones for your personal, educational or professional development.
The volunteering service offers you:
- Free accommodation: a single room in a flat shared with other volunteers.
- Pocket money (€155 per month).
- Money for food expenses (€155 per month).
- Local transport to get to your volunteer activities.
- Arrival and midterm training (midterm evaluation).
- Private medical insurance that will cover all the expenses not covered by the public health system (health, accident and civil liability insurance).
- Your travel expenses from where you live to Murcia at the beginning of the project and from Murcia to your place of residence once the project is finished.
- Visa and residence permit fees (if required).
The volunteer project
Start date: 07.09.2022
The schedule of volunteer activities will be between 25 and 35 hours per week.
The volunteer will have the opportunity to get to know all the actions developed in Proyecto Abraham. During the first phase of the volunteer period, he/she will observe how the association develops its activities, giving active support in the development of these activities. After that, he/she will focus on his/her activities by taking part in the activities mentioned below:
- Art collection with up-cycling garments in the insertion project Atelier El Costurerico. The idea is to participate from the beginning in the creation of an art collection where various artists will decorate clothes made in the El Costurerico clothing workshop.
- Camina entre Telas project. Supporting trainers to teach Spanish, new technologies, job search, etc.
- Support for the Regional Clothes Closet project and the Food Bank in the donation of clothes and food.
- Leisure and free time workshops related to textile recycling and circular economy.
- Promotion of European and mobility projects and programmes among young people in the Region of Murcia, as well as among the users of our organisation.
- Participation in workshops and presentations of the European Solidarity Corps (ESC) programme in youth organisations, secondary schools in the city of Murcia and the University of Murcia.
- Social and solidarity economy shop. Support for the organisation of the shop and various tasks.
The area where the volunteer will develop his/her activities will be between Puente Tocinos and the municipalities where the association is present, where the association will provide support to people of all ages in vulnerable situations. The volunteers who participate in our project have the opportunity to get to know all the areas and sectors in which the association works, to participate in the general organization of the activities, always accompanied by a person who works in the association.
All the activities developed in Abraham Project are linked to the Sustainable Development Goals, which, among other things, brings an added European value to our project.
In terms of learning, volunteers will have a new opportunity for relationships that will foster their personal development, they will be in contact with people from other cultures, countries, religions and customs that will make them more tolerant and open-minded. Through these relationships they will understand the reality, the community and the circumstances in which our direct beneficiaries live. In this way, they will discover other realities, creating a new perspective on their own reality, giving more importance to their own life and finally acting collectively.
Our volunteering project seeks to promote the values promoted by the EU and the ESC Programme, such as solidarity, equality, justice, respect, the fight against exclusion and xenophobia, etc.
Accommodation and maintenance
The volunteers who participate in our project will live in a flat located in the center of the city of Murcia together with other volunteers who carry out their volunteer project in other organizations in Murcia.
The flat will be rented by the Euroaccion Association, the coordinating organization of this project. Each volunteer will have his/her own room to guarantee privacy and space. The coordinating organization will pay the rent of the apartment and the bills on a monthly basis, to free the volunteers from these tasks.
This project is funded by the European Commission and covers, in addition to accommodation, the costs of food, pocket money and local transport. This money will be managed by the volunteer in a free and independent way.
About Proyecto Abraham
The Proyecto Abraham Association offers full support to migrants, minors and all people at risk of social exclusion. Born in 1997, it develops its actions in the Region of Murcia with the aim of promoting social action and environmental protection. From the beginning Proyecto Abraham helps all people with migratory status, with addiction problems, unemployed, people with economic difficulties, lack of social resources to face their difficulties and, in general, people at risk of social exclusion.
The objectives of the association are:
- To disseminate the results of the activities carried out by the association in the social, cultural, labour and educational areas;
- To give a speech and carry out concrete actions against racism, xenophobia and any action that may cause a violation of human rights;
- Promote employment and socio-cultural integration;
- Enhance the encounter between different peoples through the development of cultural events;
- To support cultural exchange by encouraging coexistence between different groups of people, as well as the recovery and promotion of popular traditions, especially those belonging to the Region of Murcia and the specific aspects of each nationality that characterize the members of the association;
- To centralize the collection of solid waste, clothes, shoes, toys, paper, scrap metal, furniture, electrical appliances and all kinds of material that can be reused, recycled and/or recovered, with subsequent sale in shops, markets, or sending/selling to Third World countries.
- To fight against unemployment, social exclusion, xenophobia, racism and any other circumstance that nullifies the dignity of the person and creates a process of marginalization.
- To consolidate the multi-ethnic and intercultural group, formed by the members of the association, as a resource to promote social integration.
- To support transients and immigrants, promoting their social integration through the development of different activities.
Proyecto Abraham carries out its activities throughout the Region of Murcia, but the headquarters, which houses people at risk of social exclusion and one of the shops, is located in Puente Tocinos. The infrastructures used for waste separation are located in Lorquí and La Unión. The Association has another shop located in Caravaca de la Cruz. In addition, the Association carries out itinerant socio-occupational workshops in all the municipalities of the Region of Murcia and carries out community intervention, integral educational improvement, educational and cultural projects in different areas of the city of Cartagena.
This project is aimed at young people between 18 and 30 years old who have not participated in any European volunteering project (EVS or ESC) before.
Our association will prioritize the selection of young people with fewer opportunities, young people who face geographic, economic and/or educational barriers.
The Abraham Project Association considers that due to the characteristics of our beneficiaries, the volunteer must have physical, moral and healthy conditions.
We will value positively those candidates who possess a spirit of solidarity and generosity with themselves and with others, who know how to respect and actively defend the dignity of the beneficiaries, as well as to promote the integral development of the beneficiaries through empathy and patience.
We will also value maturity, emotional balance, the ability to stay with other people and the ability to adapt to work in a team.
We will give a positive value to those people who are participative and communicative during work meetings and during the development of activities in general. People open to new experiences and with an attitude of initiative and creativity.
During the selection process, any young person interested and motivated to participate in our project, able to respect our beneficiaries and responsible to participate, will be considered eligible for our volunteer activity. In this way, we are open to receive all kinds of proposals from people interested in our activities and who want to show us the required characteristics.
No young person willing to participate in our project will be excluded for any reason (economic difficulties, social or geographical obstacles, cultural or ideological differences, sexual orientation, age, ethnicity, gender identity and sex, etc.).