Volume 3, Issue 9 - September 13, 2020
A Message from Dr. Lowry
Good Afternoon WoodCreek Family!
Thank you Timberwolves for an amazing week. Here are a few important reminders as we start our next week.
- All Face-to-Face students should be self screening before reporting to campus each day.
- We are not accepting any parent drop offs or deliveries at this time.
- KVA students should continue to follow the bell schedule. As with our Face-to-Face on-campus attendance, KVA teachers will take and post attendance as if the students were physically present on the campus. Students and teachers should be logged on during schedule class time.
- KVA students must log-in to zoom with their advisory teachers on Monday for the Character Strong lesson.
Please take some time to review this week's Timberwolf Times as it includes information about advisory, morning tutorials, opt-in/out procedures and athletics.
WoodCreek Junior High
This Week in Timberwolf Nation
Monday, September 14
- Spirit Wear Day - Show your support for WCJH!
- Character Strong Lessons Start in Advisory for All Students (F2F and KVA)
Tuesday, September 15
Wednesday, September 16
Thursday, September 17
- Constitution Day
Friday, September 18
- College Spirit Day - Wear your favorite college gear!
- Deadline to switch between KVA and Face to Face for the 2nd Six Weeks
Devices for Face to Face Students
In person instruction includes face-to-face instruction, in addition to the utilization of the digital learning management system, Canvas, for other in-class supports and resources. For face-to-face instruction, students are not required to have a device at school. However, students will sometimes be encouraged by their teachers to bring a device (i.e. chromebook, laptop, tablet, etc.) with them to school to work on and submit assignments in class via Canvas. This is being encouraged to promote safe practices and to reduce the overall number of shared devices between students. Furthermore, until further notice, students who are returning face-to-face will continue to use the devices checked out to them by the library.
Advisory for KVA Students
Starting Monday, all Katy Virtual School Students must attend their advisory class via zoom on Monday each week to particpate in our Character Strong lesson.
The other days of the week students will not need to meet via zoom and KVA students can be use this time to take a break, eat lunch and/or study for classes.
Katy Virtual Academy - Second Grading Period Opt-In and Opt-Out Dates
The next opportunity to opt-in to in-person instruction or Katy Virtual Academy (KVA) instruction for the second grading period will be from August 31-September 18 (secondary) and September 21-October 2 (elementary). The opt-in commitment link will be available on your student’s campus home page. All opt-in changes are in effect at the beginning of the second six week (secondary) and nine week (elementary) grading period.
We appreciate your support, as campuses are working extremely hard to schedule and balance in–person and virtual learning classes for each grading period.
If you decide to change you child's learning environment from KVA to face-to-face, or from face-to-face to KVA, your child's schedule may be impacted in the following ways:
- A change in the order of your child's classes
- A change in your child's teachers
If you have any questions regarding the next opportunity to change your child’s learning option for the second grading period, please email KVA@katyisd.org.
Checking Students In and Out During the School Day
To Check-In a Student
- Late Check-In (Tardy) - Please come into the office with your student. Our receptionist, Maureen Barton, will show you where we have a QR code posted. Scan it with your phone, and provide the requested information to check your student in.
- Returning from an appointment - If your student has a note from their doctor or appointment, you do not have to come in with your student. They will be granted access and can check in directly with our attendance clerk, Meghann Slayden.
To Check-Out a Student
- Please come into the front office. Our receptionist, Maureen Barton, will show you where we have a QR code posted. Please scan it with your phone and provide the requested information
- Please show your ID to Ms. Barton. She will share that verification with our attendance clerk, Meghann Slayden, who will then call for your student.
- You may either wait for your student in the sitting area or outside or in your car. (If you choose to wait inside and it becomes too crowded, you may be asked to wait outside for safe distancing purposes.)
Thank you for your help and your patience as we work to develop these new procedures to better serve you and our students!
Transportation Bus Service & Route Information
Transportation WebQuery is now Available! Are you eligible for Bus Service? Katy ISD Transportation WebQuery can tell you. Find your Bus Number, Bus Stop and Pickup Time by using the WebQuery. Enter Your House Number and Street, select your child's grade or school and find out about your eligibility for service, or when and where your child can catch the bus.
Bus Tracking System
For parents and patrons having children who are eligible for transportation services in Katy ISD, click here for information on how to download the application.
The campus code for WCJH is 52218172.
Transportation/School Buses & Masks
As part of our enhanced safety practices on school buses, no more than two children will be assigned to a bus seat, drivers and students of all ages will be required to wear masks, hand sanitizer will be stationed at the entry of every vehicle, buses will be sanitized between routes, airflow will be increased throughout the bus by keeping windows rolled down and air conditioning on, and students’ time on the vehicle will be minimized whenever possible.
ILLNESS CHART: Can My Child Go To School Today?
From the WCJH Counseling Team
Would you like to learn more about the WoodCreek Junior High counseling team? Are you interested in hearing more about the services our counseling department has to offer? Would you like to discover some helpful parenting resources? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should visit the WCJH Counselor Website by clicking this link or on the picture below: https://woodcreekcounselor.weebly.com/
Please keep in mind, these procedures may change depending on the needs of the school or due to a change in guidance from Katy ISD.
KVA Curbside “Grab and Go” Meals - beginning Monday, September 7
Students enrolled in Katy Virtual Academy (KVA) will be able to pick up breakfast and lunch meals, curbside from 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, beginning Monday, September 7. Pick up is available at these four sites: Morton Ranch HS, Mayde Creek HS, Cinco Ranch HS, or Seven Lakes HS. Meals are packaged to be heated and eaten at home. Meals are to be picked up a day prior to the intended use. A breakfast and lunch picked up on Tuesday evening, for example, would be consumed Wednesday morning/ afternoon. Meals are charged based on the student’s eligibility (free, reduced, or full pay).
- Breakfast: $1.25 ($.30 reduced) Elementary Lunch: $2.25 ($.40) Secondary Lunch: $2.75 ($.40 reduced)
- Parents/students may pick up meals at any of the four sites. Student ID or current proof of enrollment is needed for meal service.
- Meals may also be pre-ordered through SchoolCafe.com. Parents/students who pre-order will need to pick up their meals at the site assigned to them on SchoolCafe.com during the online pre-ordering process.
- Menus and nutritional information are available on SchoolCafe.com.
- Cashless payment is encouraged using Pay N’ Go.
COVID-19 Self-Reporting APP - Notifications & Information
The District has a COVID-19 Reporting System in place to allow staff, students and parents to self-report if they have received a COVID-19 positive test result. The self-reporting system enables the District’s Emergency Management team to conduct contact tracing, as well as call and notify individuals in Katy ISD buildings who may have been directly exposed to the infected person. A general email notification is also sent to campus staff and families whenever the district is informed of a potential “indirect” COVID-19 exposure in their building. Receipt of the general notification alone indicates that the recipient was not in close contact to the COVID-19 positive case reported for their building.
Many school personnel and other staff are teaching and working on Katy ISD campuses and facilities. Should there be a potential COVID-19 exposure on any campus or facility, a general notification is sent to staff at the work site impacted, by 5:00 p.m. on the day in which the self-report was submitted. Staff who may have been directly exposed because of failed COVID-19 safety protocol will be notified directly by a member of the Risk Management Department.
Parents will only begin to receive applicable campus-based general notifications when students return to schools for the in-person instructional option. Parents of students who may be involved in fine arts or athletic activities on campuses right now, may receive a general notification through Rank One (athletics) or Charms (fine arts), ahead of the September 8 reopening, if the District is informed of a potential exposure at their campus.
Students and staff may report positive COVID-19 results using the COVID-19 Self Reporting app on MyKaty Cloud.
Contact Email and Questions
Be sure to visit the Katy ISD Smart Restart page often, as the district updates it frequently with the latest information about KVA, In-Person school, Athletics, Fine Arts, Safety Protocols, links to newsletters and more.
Katy Virtual Academy Questions
Special Education Questions
Mission Statement: WoodCreek Junior High, in partnership with the community, parents, and students, will provide a safe, positive, engaging learning environment that is devoted to empowering each student to become a productive, responsible, respectful citizen while achieving academic excellence.
WCJH Administrative Team
Dr. Andrew Lowry Principal
Tim Chesser Assistant Principal - Student Support
Lauren Merriman Assistant Principal - 6th grade and 8th grade M-Z
Stephanie McDonald Assistant Principal - 7th grade and 8th grade A-L
Jodi Slaughter Counselor - 8th Grade
Brittany Waddell Counselor - 7th Grade
Jessie Clay Counselor - 6th Grade