Severance Middle School
December 10, 2021
7th & 8th grade elective opportunities for 3rd and 4th quarter
- We have added an additional elective class for 3rd and 4th quarter for 7th and 8th graders. The students have been emailed and can sign-up if they would like to be considered for the new class. 3rd quarter elective classes won’t be finalized until January 3rd.
- 7th Grade - Team/Life Sports
- 8th Grade - Team/Life Sports and Engineering Brightness
- Team and Life Sports is a quarterly PE elective course that will include different team sports (i.e. - football, volleyball, handball, floor hockey, soccer, basketball, softball, etc.) as well as different lifetime sports (i.e. - badminton, pickleball, speedminton, bowling, weight lifting, personal fitness, etc.). This course will also feature regular fitness exercises and activities, however, without the fitness testing component.
- Engineering Brightness: Come be a part of SMS’s chapter of Engineering Brightness. We work together with other students in the world to engineer 3D printed, sustainable lights with the goal of distributing them to people without electricity worldwide. This class uses Makerspace, 3D Printing, and Circuitry to design, produce, and distribute lights. This class also includes personal reflection, research, and exploration about the countries we send our lanterns too. Not only will you get to learn about 3D printing, soldering, and circuitry, but you will also be changing someone’s life!
Spirit Week December 13 -16
Spirit Week December 13-16
Monday, December 13 - Holiday Sock or Hat Day
Tuesday, ,December 14 - Holiday Pajama Day
Wednesday, December 15 - Christmas Movie Day - Dress as a character
Thursday, December 16 - Ugly Sweaters
Winter Break December 17-January 3
Colorado School Safety Resource Center - Free Informative Learning Opportunity for Parents
CSSRC (Colorado School Safety Resource Center) is offering training for parents in January. The training is online, free and offered over the lunch hour. National experts will be speaking on cyber safety, cyber bullying, and drug trends.
The Colorado School Safety Resource Center is excited to offer an informative learning opportunity. This training is online, free and open to parents. Cyber safety/bullying and trends in substance use are topics of intense interest to our school communities and parents. We hope to demystify some of the concerns with our Speakers' Series.
Confirmed National Speakers:
- Alex Rodrigues - January 11th - Cyber Safety
- Lynn Riemer - January 18th - Drug Awareness for Adults
- Sameer Hinduja - January 25th – Cyberbullying
- Date/Time: Tuesdays, January 11, 18 and 25, 2022 at 11:30 - 12:45 PM (MST)
- Location/Links: Due to COVID-19, these events will be held virtually. From the comfort of your own office, classroom, or home. Links will be provided to all registered attendees, as the event get closer.
- Cost: No-cost | Registration is open still! Registration is FREE but Required.
Wrestling Season - Information from the coach
My name is Joseph Pattison, and I am the new head wrestling coach here at Severance Middle School. Wrestling season is quickly arriving and will officially start on January 4th. To prepare the students for the upcoming season, I will be hosting a pre-season workout. I plan to start the workouts at 4:10 after school and go until around 5:45. The workouts will be Monday through Thursday 12/6/21 - 12/16/21, the workouts are by no means mandatory, but it would be great to get as many wrestlers there as possible. If you or your student is unsure about wrestling, this will be a great intro to see how they enjoy it. Please have your wrestlers bring their wrestling shoes and a water source to the workouts. If they don't have wrestling shoes and are just wanting to "try-it out," PLEASE do not go buy shoes for the pre-season workouts. They will be mandatory starting in January. I am excited for the upcoming season and look forward to meeting all the wrestlers. Please fill out THIS google form to let me know how many are interested, so our coaching staff can be prepared.
There will be an official parent meeting for the season in January.
Free Covid Test Location
Hawk Parent Group (PTO) Meetings and Minutes
Hawk Parent Group (PTO) Meetings will be held in the Severance Middle School Library from 4:30-5:30pm. We will live stream the meetings as well. We look forward to seeing you there.
Thursday, January 13th
Wednesday, February 17th
Thursday, March 17th
Thursday, April 21st
Tuesday, October 5 - CLICK HERE to view minutes
Thursday, November 18th - CLICK HERE to view minutes
King Soopers, Box Tops and Morning Fresh Milk Lids Fundraisers
Go to http://www.kingsoopers.com, log into your account, select MY Account, select Community Rewards (located on the left menu), search for Severance Middle School or by our code DG836, select Enroll. That's it!
The more that sign up and shop at King Soopers, the more SMS benefits.
Severance MS collects Box Tops and Morning Fresh Milk lids as part of our on going fundraiser.
Box Tops is changing to fit today's families. The new and improved Box Tops Mobile app uses state of the art technology to scan your store receipt, find participating products and instantly add Box Tops to your school's earning online. CLICK HERE to learn more. To view how to use the app and track credit for the box tops you've donated to SMS PLEASE WATCH for every 75 box tops your child turns in they will receive a candy bar.
This group of do-gooders decided to take what they learned from the OtterCares curriculum, Project Heart, and sell pre packaged goodies to raise money to buy supplies for individuals experiencing homelessness. So far they have raised $150 and bought hats, gloves, and socks for the cold weather shelter in Greeley.