Team Thomson News & Notes
April 10, 2017
Important Information for You!
I hope that you all had an enjoyable Spring Break, whether traveling or staying at home, I hope you return relaxed and rested ready to take on the last marking period of the year. Can you believe how fast this year has went by?!?
Extreme Make-Over Office Edition-THANK YOU!
First and foremost, I would like to thank Sarah D., Sara H., Anna, Rachel, and Megan Rule for joining me in painting the office this past Monday...with the painting VIP being Sarah D. who painted from 6 a.m. until 3 p.m. Additionally, I would like to thank Jim for all the prep work he did to get it ready for us. While I will admit it may be a bit more 'yellow' than I thought it would be, it looks so much better than it did!
Staff Meeting Prep
At our Leadership Team meeting, the PLC Leaders shared concern over and a need/want to know exactly what the expectations are in terms of the Lesson Plan Requirements sent out by Mr. Brown last month. While I was asked for a sample lesson plan, I shared that lesson plans should truly be based on what each teacher needs in terms of planning for a lesson. Instead, I agreed to a 'working staff meeting' during which time I will answer any questions you may have and provide time and feedback for teachers/certified staff to work on developing their own personal lesson plan template that meets their planning needs. I will, however, share what could be considered an exemplar from a first year first grade teacher at Gates for you to look at and consider. In order to ensure that our time is utilized to it's fullest, please be sure to bring the following:
- Memo from Mr. Brown outlining the changes to lesson plans
- Chromebook or Good Ol' Fashion Paper and Pencil for working through your template
- Common Core State Standards or Discipline Specific Standards
- Curriculum, Materials/Unit, & Assessments for one subject area for one lesson or week
- 5D+ Rubric
March is Reading- Pie in the Face
As reading month calendars come in, please be sure to have the children add their stickers to the staff posters in the gym. Please remember that while we want this to be fun for the students, we also want them to be respectful...please do not have them put stickers directly on the faces/eyes of staff member pictures. Students earn one sticker for simply returning their calendar and one for each week they read at least 100 minutes. Please mark you calendar for Thursday, April 20th for the 'Pie in the Face' Assembly which will take place at 2:30 p.m. Thank you all for your support!
Report Cards & Parent-Teacher Conferences
Please don't forget that report cards must be completed by 4:00 p.m. on Monday, April 10th. Report cards will be printed Monday after school and Tuesday and will be in your mailbox Tuesday before the end of the day. They should be sent home on Wednesday, April 12th with conferences being held from 4-6 p.m.
A Bit on Behavior
In speaking with a few staff members about behavior in the weeks leading up to Spring Break a few things kept coming to my mind. While I do not think in anyway that anyone is intentionally doing or not doing any of the following, I do think that we all need to be reminded of what we know every once in a while especially as we head into the last ten weeks of school. You have the power to make the last marking period of school the best part of the year or the hardest part for some of our students who struggle even a little with behavior and/or attention. Remember:
- Breathe and be patient.
- We can only control what we can control and kids can only control what they can control.
- Ask and seek to understand both sides of a situation before assuming the worst about a student and calling for assistance from myself or Jen. Often, there has been a misunderstanding that could easily be sorted out in the classroom, thus strengthening the teacher/student bond and keeping 'power' to solve problems with the teacher instead of someone else.
- Use your partner teacher or give the student a task that gets them out of the classroom which will give you both a minute to reset.
- Don't create an environment where a particular student can't win or do anything 'right'. We don't want students wearing a scarlet letter.
- Remember that as adults, we need to accept a student's apology just as we teach students to accept apologies from their peers. It is very difficult, but important, for little ones to apologize for their mistakes. These need to be taken and accepted with grace and dignity.
Of course, there are situations that may need additional assistance from Jen or myself and I do not want anyone to hesitate if this is the case, but rather be mindful and remember to breathe...you got this!
The office will begin taking teacher requests for the 2017-18 school year from parents this week. As a reminder, teachers are not to be giving information, or recommendations, as to who they should request. Instead I ask that all staff encourage parents to meet with me, which many do, or call to discuss their child and what they are looking for in regards to a teacher. Requests will be taken through April 28th.
Quotes Worth Reading
"You create beauty with you attitude, your behavior, your actions. It is all up to you."
"Remember: everyone int he classroom has a story that leads to misbehavior or defiance from time to time. Nine times out of ten, the story behind the misbehavior won't make you angry...it will break your heart."
Celebrations & Announcements
Important Upcoming Dates:
- Monday, April 10th-Report Card Grades must be entered by 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 11th-Report Card Printing
- Wednesday, April 12th-Staff Meeting, 7:35 a.m. (Agenda: Lesson Plans); Send Report Cards Home; Spring Walk-in Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Thursday, April 13th-Fire Drill
- Friday, April 14th-Good Friday, No School
- Week of April 16th-PLC Week
- Monday, April 17th-PTO, 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 18th-GSRP Students Visit; ELA Meeting 4:15-6:15 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 19th-Child Study Day (please send any student's name you wish to bring to Child Study to Maida and I); Tornado Drill
- Thursday, April 20th-STAR Progress Monitoring
- Friday, April 21st-Leadership Team Meeting, 7:15 a.m.; FARM DAY
- Week of April 24th-KINDERGARTEN ROUND-UP