Event Contingency Plan
Failure of VIP's to arrive on time
Visiting dignitaries often have multiple responsibilities most of which are far more important than their appearance at an event to make a speech or presentation. They may cancel at the last moment.
Make plans and instruct staff to continue the event programme rather than delay it
- Identify and use other people in the event management team or other guests who can step into to make a presentation if necessary
Particularly affects outdoor events.
In the event of a sudden downpour ensure there is adequate shelter for all otherwise people will start going home and won't come back even if the skies clear
- Make plans to relocate activities to sheltered areas or to alter the event programme to salvage the day if possible
Event Staff Who go Missing
There is always likely to be occurrences of event staff that go missing temporarily from their station. Causes might include a chance meeting with an old friend, treatment of an injury, confusion over times and places where they are supposed to be, and toilet and refreshment breaks.
- Have a person designated in the event management team as a "Troubleshooter" whose job is to continually move about the venue looking for such problems.
- Roster more staff than are actually needed so that there are a few "spares" that can be assigned to positions anywhere.
Breakages and Other Losses
Breakages and losses could include competition equipment, electrical equipment and lighting, trophies, event paperwork, canteen equipment and supplies, keys, money and many other items.
Keep spares and back-up systems
Roster on a "troubleshooter" who detect these problems as early as possible
Injuries and Accidents
Injuries may occur to participants, spectators and/or event staff. It is a legal duty for the event organizers to plan for such eventualities.
Organize first aid and/or other qualified medical personnel to be in attendance throughout the event
Roster on more staff than the minimum required so that if one person requires treatment it will not impact on the running of the event
- Ensure driveways and entrances are not blocked to emergency personnel