The Madison School PTA Newsletter / March 19, 2021
Madison PTA Slate of Officers 2021-22
The below slate of nominations was presented at the March 15 PTA meeting. Officer elections will take place at the upcoming general membership meeting on April 26 at 7:00 p.m. Anyone else interested in an officer position may be nominated from the floor at that time. The person nominating must have consent from the nominee prior to the meeting. Newly elected officers will be installed at the May general membership meeting and will begin their term July 1.
Co-President: Lauren DeReus, 2nd term
Co-President: Debbie McCraw, 1st term
Vice President of Membership: Keri Widmer, 2nd term
First Vice President of Ways and Means: Kate Kessler, 2nd term
Second Vice President of Ways and Means: Diana Benoist, 1st term
Treasurer: Meredith Sharpee, 2nd term
Secretary: Heather Graf, 1st term
Thank you to all of our volunteers and to this year's nominating committee: Heather Graf, Michelle Clousing, Amy Consolazio, Lisa Feeley and Debbie McCraw.
We Need Your Help for Explore More Day
If you have missed volunteering at events, here's a great opportunity! We are looking for a committee chair to lead the charge in planning this daylong event as well as committee members. Explore More Day is fast approaching, so if you're able to help, please reach out to Madison PTA President Beth Tatro ASAP.
Madison Students Advance in Reflections Contest
Each year, the National PTA Reflections contest encourages students to explore and be involved in the arts. Students reflected on a common theme and created original works of art in the categories of dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography and visual arts. This year’s theme was “I Matter Because”. Ten Madison students participated, submitting 11 entries.
Congratulations to Molly Bickel, Lucy Bickel, Osme Dee, Katie Cechini, Gianna DeReus, Brayden Feinsot, William Feinsot, Kajol Kumar, Kavya Kumar and Alina Richardson who advanced to the district level!
Five of those students then advanced to the DuPage West Region, which includes Glen Ellyn, Wheaton/Warrenville, Carol Stream and Naperville PTAs. They were honored at a district-wide Zoom ceremony on March 18th.
Those works selected for advancement to the next level were:
- Molly Bickel - Literature - “About God”
- Lucy BIckel - Literature - “I Matter Because”
- Brayden Feinsot - Photography - “Crane at the Lake”
- Kajol Kumar - Visual Arts - “I Matter Because...Family”
- Alina Richardson - Visual Arts - “I am an Animal Protector”
Of those entries, two were selected to move onto the statewide level of the competition. They were by Molly Bickel and Kajol Kumar.
Congratulations to all and thank you for your support of the Reflections program!
More Teacher Wishes Granted!
Madison Paw Prints Yearbook Reminders
- Today is the last day to vote for your favorite cover! Each student may vote only once via the link they received in an email from Mr. Callahan. If you have technical difficulties with the survey, you may email your vote to email@example.com.￼ The entries are included below - click on each image to enlarge it.
- Please continue to post your photos to the Madison PTA Facebook Group or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in the yearbook.
- Yearbooks can be purchased from TreeRing.com through March 31. Log in with your username and password from previous years (or register new) and select "Madison Elementary School 2020-2021."
Have Questions? Contact Yearbook Chief Editor Megan Savitt.
Madison Cares: March Volunteering Highlight - DuPage Pads
DuPage Pads is a local organization making a huge impact in our community! Its mission is to end homelessness through interim housing and continued support services.
DuPage Pads is primarily run by volunteers, and there are many ways students and parents can help be part of the solution!
Create a fundraiser in your neighborhood to raise funds to donate (lemonade stand, selling homemade items)
Cook or buy a freezer meal to bring to an interim housing location
Organize a donation drive through scout troops, church groups, etc.
Gather urgently needed donation items, such as clothes, paper towels, laundry detergent, gift cards and non-perishable food items.
Visit DuPagePads.org for more details and to get inspired!
Clubs and End-of-Year Events at Madison
Stay tuned for more details about the following:
- Running Club and Math Club - After Spring Break
- Band and Orchestra Concerts
- Field Day
- Fifth Grade Celebration
Student Excellence Foundation Recognizes Star Teachers and Staff
From March 17 to May 26, the Student Excellence Foundation will recognize one classroom teacher and one staff member from each CUSD 200 building. These Stars of the Week have been nominated by their colleagues for going above and beyond for their students and the community this year.
Follow the Student Excellence Foundation Facebook page to find out who Madison's Stars of the Week will be!
District 200: Return to Learn Updates
Summer learning opportunities for K-5 will include an extended school year opportunity for students in the ESL program and students with special needs or who have an IEP. Stay tuned for more details from the district.
VA families will soon receive a survey to gather feedback about this year and begin planning for next year.
DEI 200 Updates and Ways to Get Involved
DEI 200 is a district-wide effort to advance CUSD 200's commitment to equity and educational excellence.
- Input Requested: How is CUSD 200 doing on matters relating to diversity, equity and inclusion? DEI 200 invites ALL community members to fill out this 5-minute, anonymous survey that will help guide DEI efforts.
- Join the DEI Book Club: All ages are welcome to participate in the newly forming book club. We are planning to read two books per year. To learn more and to help guide our planning, please fill out this form.
- Join the DEI Committee: Interested in participating in the work of DEI200? Sign up to get involved. The committee meets the third Thursday of every month at 7 p.m.
- Attend the Upcoming Conversation: On March 23, join us for a panel discussion, moderated by Wheaton high school students and featuring community leaders, including CUSD 200 Superintendent Jeff Schuler. Register on the library website.
- March 23: DEI Conversation with Wheaton Leaders
- March 24: All-Day Kindergarten Registration Opens 8 a.m.
- March 24: Mobile Food Pantry at Hubble
- March 24: CUSD 200 Board of Education Special Meeting 7 p.m.
- March 29-April 2: Spring Break - No School
The next Madison PTA meeting is on April 26 at 7 p.m. We hope to meet in person! Stay tuned for details. You can view the full meeting schedule for the year and access minutes from previous meetings on the Madison PTA website.